Restraints

Tristan

As has been mentioned, the LEOs are trained in how to take down an uncooperative person, with as little damage as possible to both the patient and themselves. Let them do it. When they cuff the individual, they have the person in "protective custody".
I don't think cops around here know the "little damage as possible" part of it . . .

And I don't know what protective custody is in the legal sense for cops, unless they're going through with a 72-hour hold (threat to self, others, or gravely disabled...guess the latter), but then you have to have paperwork to go with it.

But yes, Richard's advice is generally the way to go.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We carry soft (cloth) restraints and just four-point the patient to the frame of our gurney. Just a few days ago, I had to restrain an ALOC football player (5'9", 250) who was extremely combative. We had about 5 firefighters and EMTs and 2 cops there trying to hold this guy down long enough to restrain him - we had handcuffs going in addition to the soft restraints and this guy was still fighting all the way to the ER.
We had this a couple months ago, with a pro player. Fortunately, we only had to restrain him long enough to get some sugar into him. As soon as he came too, "Uh man...uhh, sorry". Guess it wasn't the first time he awoke to PD/FD/EMS holding him down. Knew exactly what had happened.

If, during a transport, the patient goes off, first, get out of the way of the patient, as in, stop the vehicle and bail (take the keys with you!), and use your portable 2 way radios to request the LEOs, FORTHWITH/STAT!

If you are in a municipal ambulance, as I am, let the patient destroy the vehicle, as when the LEOs get there, the patient will be a little tired from doing the destruction, and won't be as big a problem to the LEOs, plus, the taxpayers will give you a new ambulance, or at least another one. The taxpayers are not authorized to give you and your partner a new body to live in.

As has been mentioned, the LEOs are trained in how to take down an uncooperative person, with as little damage as possible to both the patient and themselves. Let them do it. When they cuff the individual, they have the person in "protective custody".

I wholefully concur.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.