Help getting into Oil and Gas

Marksman

I did the industrial EMS thing for 6 months and hated every second of it. I was in camp for 6 weeks with one week out.

My only goal was to make an assload of money, and get out.

I have a pretty decent truck, a quad, and a savings account now, and I got a real EMS job at the first opportunity.

All in all, industrial EMS sucks, but I sure miss clearing 7 grand a month. Hahaha

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As to "the job" it's not all that diffrent from what I am doing right now. I sit in an ambulance doing first aid stand by, mostly at a speedway. A lot of the time it is sitting around for 6hrs at a time, bored out of my skull.

We're trying to tell you that it is indeed a LOT different from what you are doing right now. Night and day difference. I have worked event stand-bys, and I have worked remote duty medic, and there simply is absolutely no comparison, beyond the boredom factor. At an event, you are EMS. You are waiting for the inevitable accident where somebody suffers trauma or maybe a medical emergency, and you transport them fifteen minutes down the road to an ER for treatment. That is EMS. REMOTE MEDICAL WORK IS NOT EMS! The majority of your patients will be things you know not the slightest thing about. Headaches. Tummyaches. Skin rashes. Nausea and vomiting. Colds and flu. Sore shoulders. Sore legs and feet. How much education do you have on any of those? If you can't tell diverticulitis from gas, you're going to quickly look like an idiot. If you can't tell diverticulitis from appendicitis, you're going to quickly lose your licence. And if you decide to do the typical EMT thing and just haul them all to the hospital, you're going to cost your employer too much money and get fired post haste. Same thing if you can't tell heat rash from the rash of meningitis or scarlet fever. How much education and experience do you have with those? Do you know which ankle injuries really need to go to an ER and which ones just need a day of RICE? Again, if you don't, you are going to cost your employer thousands of dollars that he thinks you aren't worth. Out of every twenty patients, you might see one who actually needs evaluation and treatment that is within an EMTs level of training. The rest of the time, you feel uncomfortably out of your element. Don't kid yourself. This is not a simple "first aid attendant" gig, no matter what they tell you. The guys who just need first aid don't even go to you. They fix themselves because they get in trouble for injuries. The good news is, as already mentioned, you'll see so few patients that you'll go long periods between screw-ups. :lol:

Good luck!

I know of a MICA Paramedic who left his job here and went up to the mines to head a team of Industrial Paramedics. Were he was posted is about a 56hour drive from any form of medical help. When something happens they jump on the blower and speak to a doctor from the Royal Flying Doctors service, they either immediately fly a doctor and nurse (at least 8 to 12 hours wait) to the patient or refer them to a RFD fly in clinic they run on a roster in some remote community’s. While it would be nice to have a proper medical clinic with doctors and so on set up it really isn’t financially viable. I agree that most of the work is coughs a colds but it’s also no walk in the park when one of those 200 ton Tonka trucks rolls on a worker. You talk about education but really were do you draw the line? I don’t think it’s very appropriate for a first aid attendant, paramedic or nurse working on a mine site to be taught to diagnose meningitis or scarlet fever. Even if they could diagnose what could they do for the patient? If the employer wants someone that fits this job description they should hire a doctor.

It is boring, the days or long but the pay is awesome, most mine sites around Australia pay anything from 150k to 250k, most work on a 2 week on 1 week off fly in fly out roster which means the company foots the bill to fly you back to were you came from for your week off, they pay for accommodation, food, you have access to gaming rooms, lounges, pools ect ect Like come-on, who wouldn’t want a job were you took home 230k clean every year.

It’s becoming pretty common that mine sites and so on in Aussie Land and combing all the jobs a making it an ‘Emergency Services Officer’ position which mean the person is a trained paramedic, fireman, rescue officer and security officer. Depending on were they work they may be called upon to back up surrounding local communities.

Mate, if you wana become a first aid attendant at a oil field then knock your self out. BTW, there screaming out for these types in Aussie Land.

You talk about education but really were do you draw the line? I don’t think it’s very appropriate for a first aid attendant, paramedic or nurse working on a mine site to be taught to diagnose meningitis or scarlet fever. Even if they could diagnose what could they do for the patient? If the employer wants someone that fits this job description they should hire a doctor.

Valid point, but far from any point I was attempting to make. Allow me to clarify further.

1. This is not an EMS job. I thought I had said that already, multiple times, but I guess not.

2. Regardless of the title, you will do very, very little actual "first aid."

3. Most of your patients will require knowledge and treatment that you have never been trained or educated to provide.

4. Fair or not, they will expect you to be able to provide that level of care.

5. When you cannot provide that level of assessment and care, they will hold it against you. And, if you are truly a professional, you will hold it against yourself too.

I agree with Timmy. They know exactly what they are hiring. And, if you want to do it, knock yourself out. Plenty of others with similar training and experience are doing it. You might as well get a piece of the action too. And really, I could not care less about anybody in BC anyhow. My only point here is to let you know exactly what you are getting into so, six months from now when they fire you for handling a patient in a way they thought was inappropriate, we can say "I told you so!" because we told you exactly what the job involved. These companies are all about the bottom dollar, and nothing more. They hire you because they have to. They hire inadequately trained people because they can. And they won't hesitate to sack you if you cost them any money in medical or insurance costs. Personally, I wouldn't want to be that guy.

From some of the descriptions of what medical care might be required at a remote outpost, they might feel better hiring either an RN, or a Physician's Assistant trained person, as the local "Higher Medical Authority".

From some of the descriptions of what medical care might be required at a remote outpost, they might feel better hiring either an RN, or a Physician's Assistant trained person, as the local "Higher Medical Authority".

They won't feel better hiring some one with more training simply because it costs them more. It's all about $$....nothing more. They will get the lowest trained person available because they don't have to pay as much.

As to "the job" it's not all that diffrent from what I am doing right now. I sit in an ambulance doing first aid stand by, mostly at a speedway. A lot of the time it is sitting around for 6hrs at a time, bored out of my skull. I'm used to it and know how to cope. I love EMS. And the more EMS/first aid related experiance I have the better. Even if it turns out to be sitting in a pickup reading anything I can get my hands on.

I have financial goals in mind and also something of a deadline, though if I miss it. It just means I can stick around for a little while longer until the next one comes a couple months later.

At a speedway at least you get to watch races. 6 hours is nothing. On the rigs expect to be sitting in your truck for a minimum of 12 hours per day with no one to talk to. There's nothing to look at either. Just trees. On the plus side there is lots of time to study.

If you do it, only take the jobs where you are provided with your own "shack" (trailer) to live in. At least you will get to watch sattelite t.v.

Don't expect any respect from the crews...too many have come before you to totally mess up our reputation. These companies have got to stop hiring people fresh out of their tests that have never seen blood before.

Don't take less than $220 per day to start as an EMR. For jobs where you provide your own food expect another $50 per day for subsistence. You should never need to pay for your accomodation.

The majority of your patients will be things you know not the slightest thing about. Headaches. Tummyaches. Skin rashes. Nausea and vomiting. Colds and flu. Sore shoulders. Sore legs and feet.

There is no majority because most people won't even bother telling you about these things. No matter what their reporting policies are, and no matter what they say at the "safety" meetings, it is frowned upon to report injuries and illness. They loose their safety bonus. If your a female attendant however, they will come see you about every little scratch and bruise :wink:

OK;

Now as far as I am concerned ..... oh btw I have worked for 5 years in the Patch, Movies, Hi Risk events, Blow Outs .....blah blah blah.

Really throwing an EMR or OFA level 3 way out in the boonies and by yourself is absolutely crazy shit, besides the truth and advice from dust and others (so tell me that an First Aider can tell the difference between, food poisioning, a hot belly or a stuck fart)? Your so far out of your field it scary in most cases. And most of the ma and pa showes are just in it for the $$$$$ so make sure you have a Medical Director and Protocols in place or your hanging your ass in the wind, even the bigger shows slide by with just having the minimal gear.

The EMR in Alberta does not do a hospital practicum, nor a clinical in hospital so take the rookie and have a wee trial by fire, ps there is a reason you have to wear a lid on these jobs.....NOW THAT SAID the Paramedic level too has no formal training in evaluation of the eye (corneal abrasion vs hyphema or what does Strep in a throat look like either.

Now WHY are the EMR and OFA level 3 doing there in the FIRST place.....look way back at legislation in both BC and Alberta, OH+S or WCB, these idea's are over 20 years old WTF? when the oilfield rig manager or as I commonly call them an old rig pigs with a cell phone and still prevalent philosophy "GET BUDDY TO TOWN"!

You are a legislated, must have, BANDAID (in ALberta as an EMR you can't even give anyone asa thanks to ACoP)

An individual in a community that values physical work only, your status the lowest on the food chain, duties will include security watch, orientations to site (a pawned off responsibility from the company man) and my all time favorite LUNCH 911.

Not the ambulance driving lifesaver oh that too has has been blown up way to many (insert part of the human anatomy used for excretion of solid wastes) as well, sorry off topic.

OH+S and WCB is NOT a friend of Paramedicine....simple and its damn hard when an educated, multiple experianced provider of health care to walk in after the last 5 Bandaids screwed up and Try to change perseption and introduce appropriate care, when your asked "wheres the blonde eye candy we had last week" The due Dilegence laws ARE impacting the Topside Oilpatch Execs, but trying to implement this in the field is a tough row to hoe.

ps The injured worker has an obligation to report injuries, the company that was doing that has stopped that type of safety initiative ???.....wonder who may have written a letter there, Oh and No way will I tell you that it was Precision or Nabors that do that.

NOW factor in the boom and bust of this industry, dependant on world oil prices and the whim of the politicians to cash in, If your Lucky you will work half of the days that you THINK you will, then there is break up and waiting around for freeze up.

THAT now stated I must quote again: REMOTE MEDICAL WORK IS NOT EMS!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.