I-85 vs I-99

emtek21

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to agree with the general consensus. All of the medic programs I know of do not require EMT-I of any level prior to admission. In addition, EMT-I is not required prior to taking the NREMT paramedic CBT and psychomotor testing.

If you are simply wanting to go through the exam process for practice, then, 99 would have more in common with the NREMT-P exam process. I know some schools allow their students to take the NREMT-I exam after completing specific parts of the course.

Take care,

chbare.

In Indiana, we have EMT-B, EMT-BA, EMT-I, and EMT-P.

How those two in the middle relate to 85/99, I don't know.

I you want to "test the waters" get a job as an ER tech at a good hospital, you will learn more there then you would being an "I" anyway!.

Welcome!

brent the EMT-A (advance) is a basic that can start a line and set up a some saline...then for the EMT-I we have 85/99 both lol

From what I can tell, there is an excellent chance that you will not find a paramedic school to recognise your Intermediate training at all. It's just becoming rarer and rarer everyday to find a school that is set up for that disjointed continuum. Back in the 70's it was pretty common to progress from EMT to EMT-I to EMT-P, but not anymore. It's just not a good way to go, and the schools recognise that. Not to mention that it simply isn't cost effective to set up two completely different educational paths for the same ultimate goal. A school has to totally change the normal flow of educational objectives in order to accommodate Intermediate students, and then -- unless you were educated at that school for Intermediate -- they really have no way to validate what you already know. They can't just assume that you know the stuff you were supposed to have learned in I school, because then they are the ones that look stupid when you graduate their P programme with insufficient knowledge for competent practice. Consequently, unless you stay out in the really rural areas where volunteer whacker EMS is the norm, it's just hard to find the Intermediate level integrated into the paramedic educational process anymore. Then you're going to end up like all the other guys who come here whining about having to get "all that book learnin" over again when they already had it once. Of course, if it comes to that, take it like a man and just do it. None of us are so damn good that we can't use a review.

Are you a volunteer, or is this your profession? If this is your profession, then just forget the Intermediate nonsense. It is counterproductive to good education. You will literally learn less and learn harder by going that route. Get into a college programme and knock a complete paramedic education out in a single sitting. Everything flows together so much more completely and naturally that way, and there is a palpable difference in the quality of medic that is turned out.

Today, Intermediate is just a half-arse level for volunteers and hobbyists who don't have the time, money, or professional commitment to devote to being a quality medical provider. If that isn't you, then do yourself and the profession a favour and just skip it.

Best of luck in whatever you do!

Dust,

In Maryland, many of the community colleges and UMBC require that you obtain your I-'99 prior to testing for paramedic. At UMBC most of our paramedic education occurs during our junior year. One full academic year of medical didactic curriculum, 6-8 hours a day. During the second semester students complete ~180 hours of clinical time before testing for their I-'99. During the senior year students complete approximately 900 hours of clinical time while completing classes in EMS management and seminars designed to refresh complex skills or knowledge.

Depends on the area.

In Maryland, many of the community colleges and UMBC require that you obtain your I-'99 prior to testing for paramedic. At UMBC most of our paramedic education occurs during our junior year. One full academic year of medical didactic curriculum, 6-8 hours a day. During the second semester students complete ~180 hours of clinical time before testing for their I-'99. During the senior year students complete approximately 900 hours of clinical time while completing classes in EMS management and seminars designed to refresh complex skills or knowledge.

Yes sir, however you are talking about testing for I-99 after completing a certain amount of a paramedic course. That is not terribly uncommon. In fact, there are some RN schools set up for their students to test for LVN licensure halfway through. But what I believe this discussion to be about is taking a freestanding EMT-I course that is not an integrated portion of a complete paramedic programme, and then maybe trying to finish up paramedic education later. The former isn't a bad idea. The latter is a horrible idea.

brent the EMT-A (advance) is a basic that can start a line and set up a some saline...then for the EMT-I we have 85/99 both lol

So we have CFR, EMT-B, EMT-BA, EMT-I 85, EMT-I 99, and EMT-P? Thats (fill in the blank)'ed up!

I'm afraid there would be no way to be more efective in EMS, by feeling cozy in the er with a doc stuck up your arse to fall back on. This gives you absolutely no chance to achieve the aspect of critical thinking in the field.

So IV practice, experience with RT's, seeing every case that comes in by ambulance, working on every code, and basically being an ER bitch, give you no experience? But working as an "EMT-I" while pondering if you should go into medic school then picking up bad habits because you don't have a more experienced partner, is better?

I fail to see the logic.

To the best of my knowledge (and it is vast), Virginia is Intermediate 99 only.

Hello from VA, btw.

Welcome aboard!

There's a guy in the "Instructors" forum asking about I to P transition in the DC area that could use your help.

Yes sir, however you are talking about testing for I-99 after completing a certain amount of a paramedic course. That is not terribly uncommon. In fact, there are some RN schools set up for their students to test for LVN licensure halfway through. But what I believe this discussion to be about is taking a freestanding EMT-I course that is not an integrated portion of a complete paramedic programme, and then maybe trying to finish up paramedic education later. The former isn't a bad idea. The latter is a horrible idea.

Agreed, but unfortunately what you talk about does still exist within our state in many of the county academies. I have a friend who is currently taking his EMT-I this way.

The program spends about 2-4 weeks on anatomy and then goes straight into the intermediate curriculum. Later, these students will "bridge" over to paramedic by completing a couple more months of 2 day-a-week classes, complete the minimum clinical time for registry standard, and test for their Registry Paramedic. They're called cook-book programs around here.

Most of these classes are filled with career firefighters striving for the extra 3-4 grand a year that comes with holding a paramedic card.

So we have CFR, EMT-B, EMT-BA, EMT-I 85, EMT-I 99, and EMT-P? Thats (fill in the blank)'ed up!

lol thats not many compared to a few states and Indiana is "phasing" the EMT-BA out. But my service puts on an EMT-BA class every 6 months lol. and I think its only a hundred hours more trainign then some field sticks...not much for a person allowed to start a line :shock:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.