First Day Of Class

hmmike

i just had to ask about your class since i am trying to find out about classes to see if we have any here in killeen texas but there isn't much of anything in this small of a town i have asked the college but i keep getting sent around in circles i just really wanted to know if it was hard i mean i am a caring person but i don't know if i could handle it so i had to ask someone else from the perspective!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i just had to ask about your class since i am trying to find out about classes to see if we have any here in killeen texas but there isn't much of anything in this small of a town i have asked the college but i keep getting sent around in circles i just really wanted to know if it was hard i mean i am a caring person but i don't know if i could handle it so i had to ask someone else from the perspective!

I am sorry to hear that you are getting the runaround. Is it Temple College that you called? You're not the first I have heard saying they were less than responsive to inquiries. But then again, that seems to be the rule with paramedic schools, and not the exception. But Temple is a good school. And the man running the programme was one of my paramedic instructors 29 years ago. You'll be in good hands there. Good luck.

Well today was my second class and it had its ups and downs. The lecture went well, we spoke mostly about anatomy and I have lots and lots of reading to do to prepare for next weeks test.

We took the test on last weeks topic afterwards and I honestly feel horrible about it. I didn't fail but I was shooting for a 100 and fell short. I froze on a few questions and put some really stupid answers down that I was kicking myself for later on. I'd like to think I got the crucial questions answered, I had more trouble on what agency established what, but quite honestly I felt miserable afterwards.

Next up was skills and we branched off. I have never even so much as taken a pulse before, so I had a blast learning this simple, I think of what my dad use to tell me, crawl before you walk. I had trouble finding the pulse on my partners arm during b/p practice, he mentioned deep veins, and when I got home I had better luck finding it on my family.

I was discouraged during most of the class, but as my day progressed I started to see it as more of a challenge. I had really high expectations for this week and I didn't meet them, so I know I have to work harder. I need to practice like a madman, and I'm glad I have willing subjects!

Discouragement is bad.

Pulses in veins is pretty bad too. :shock:

You'd probably have better luck finding the pulses in arteries, friend. :wink:

If an instructor actually told you that deep veins affected your ability to find a pulse, I would demand my money back and leave that school immediately before they totally screw you up. :?

Pulse in veins is bad, and I can see now how my mindset was that day, even after the teacher explained to us pulse is from arteries. I have no one to blame but myself and I'm going to work extra hard this week and come back with a much better update next weekend.

Ah, that's good to know! :lol:

A totally understandable confusion for a new student, but an unforgivable sin for an instructor.

Good luck!

good luck on this weeks class.

One good book to get for anatomy is the anatomy coloring book. Teaches you a lot.

Other books are out there but the above book is pretty good to learn anatomy.

ONe thing you posted earlier was something about 850 bucks. You mean that if you volunteer you get the 850 dollars waived? If that's the case then it sounds like you are paying for everyones class since they are all volunteers.

Tell that person who told you that career was a crapshoot to shut his mouth. I don't see anyone making any money volunteering. Kind of hard to support a family on a volunteers wages.

I actually picked an anatomy coloring book last night and I genuinely took alot away from it. It was both relaxing and absorbing, and at $3.99 it was a great investment lol.

The $850 is covered by the dept. you volunteer with, so I'm assuming thats the main draw.