First Day Of Class

hmmike

Today was my first day of EMT-B, I live in Suffolk County New York and I was really nervous going into it to say the least but I gotta admit I had a blast. The instructor seems really down to earth and the atmosphere was relaxed, he mentioned he teaches at a high school, so it's good to have an actual teacher . :wink:

Out of a class of maybe 23 I am the only one who isn't volunteering with a local fire department, and I was suprised, I got lost on some of the acronym's he said that everyone else seemed to get, but I jotted them down to look up later. I plan on hopefully making this a career, he mentioned that you could go straight to Paramedic school after you finish the class, at least that's what I understood, looking back I should have asked him to clarify. I'll do some searching after I post this, but do alot of people head to Paramedic after Basic. NY state doesnt have EMT-I, they have CC(T)? I think it was, and he said it wasnt mandatory to continue.

I'm 21 years old by the way, fresh out of trade school, and I can honestly say I haven't been this excited and passionate about something in years. Don't mean to ramble it's just a great feeling! :roll:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi hmmike! Welcome to the City!

It sounds like you're off to a good start! Basic school can be pretty fun, but I'm afraid that you'll find that they most likely won't teach you all you'll need to know, and hopefully nowhere near everything you'll want to know, so study hard on your own!

Do some searches on the City about "basic to medic" or the like and you'll find hundreds of pages dedicated to the subject. I went right from basic to medic school with no time on the streets and have found it amazingly challenging! If you plan to go onto medic, enjoy basic school! Once you make the change you'll know you just aint in Kansas any more.

Try not to let the hosemonkey's attitude on grades and education rub off on you!

Dwayne

Thanks guys, I have no plans in volunteering, I'm guessing the main draw is not having to pay the $850, I guess if thats worth your time and any bad habits you pick up so be it. I've hit the book hard, I read both chapters when I got home, it got into the history of EMT's which I was kinda bummed the teacher didnt touch on, but I realize the fast pace of the class.

We talked mostly about the human side of the job today, the emotions of both yourself and the people around you. I was happy to hear they offer free counseling, I hope thats a nation wide thing and not just here in NY, I can't begin to imagne the stress felt on the job.

I'm still very naive, but I don't see the point of working as a Basic when you have plans of being a Paramedic, at least when you are financially able to, so my plans are to go right into Paramedic, which coincedentially is right up the road from the fire dept im taking Basic at now, and just so happens to start 2 months after I am scheduled to finish my class. Sign from the powers above??? :D

You may want to check to make sure that there are no mandatory time periods that you have to wait before going to medic school. If you do have to wait, there are plenty of things you can do in that time to better prepare you for medic school that may not even be required, but will have great value.

Good luck with your class.

P.S. Asking questions here will help you with topics you have trouble with in class. Just make sure you search the topic first, your question may already have been asked. :lol:

Also, if you don't have them, and they're not required for medic school (though they certainly should be) you might consider anatomy and physiology prior to going. It will make life much simpler as well as give you increased insight into all you cover in school.

Good luck to you.

Dwayne

Welcome to the city Mike. Good luck with your new endeavor entering into the world of EMS. I must say, that you may want to reconsider your thoughts on NOT working as an EMT, prior to medic school. I worked for a year as an NREMT-B, prior to entering medic school. During this time, I also took an A&P course, which is required in South Carolina prior to being accepted to the NREMT-P program. But, back to the point. I think a new EMT should go out and get some field experience, prior to taking the "big" leap to medic. It is a different world, that you need to see, not hear about. Be sure that you will be ready to make the transition, and be willing to assume the responsibility of becoming a medic. We have all heard, that once you get your ticket, you now have a license to learn. But, wouldn't it be great, if when and if you obtain your Paramedic ticket that you could say that you already had some "street" learning under your belt. Once you are on the streets, the only good purpose your books will serve, are as a spare "wheelchocks" should you need one. Surround yourself with experience as well as education. One can never survive without the other. Good luck. Keep us posted, and feel free to let me know if I could ever help. I think your light will shine bright in this profession. Just stay focused.

Thanks for the replys everyone, I looked into taking a course in anatomy and physiology at the local community college in addition to what I will be learning in class. Their website says its 2 days a week for four months and the times are perfect since I work in the evening. I am going to visit with a school rep monday and see about registering.

One question I have is about the practical time we need to have, 5 hours in a hospital and 5 in an ambulance. Do they usually set people up with an ambulance company or do I need to seek one out on my own? I will definitely ask my instructor saturday but I wanted to see what most schools do in this situation.