EKG

jenny74

Ok I am in EKG hell...I am in paramedic class and half way done. We are covering cardiology this semester and I am completly lost. This is so not me to not to understand something. Can anyone offer a suggestion on a good ekg book or a website that I can practice online?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The SEARCH FUNCTION is your friend. This gets asked here at least once a week. Trust me, you're not alone, lol.

There is ONLY one answer: go get Dale Dubin's "Rapid Interpretation of EKGs" book today. Spend the next several days working through it (it is a programmed learning book, not a dry textbook) from cover to cover. Then go back to class and blow everybody else away. Guaranteed.

Any school that doesn't have you do that before the EKG segment even begins sucks! :)

Good luck!

Jenny74, this is Mike in San Diego. Cardiology was tough for me also in school but EKG stuff just comes with repitition. There are so many books out there available but the best ones are the ones that basically simplify the instruction. Long story short, sorry too late, is ask your instructors for "rules" to go by. Things like regular vs. irregular, fast vs. slow, rhythms that have p-waves vs. ones that don't. National registry testing doesn't go into j-points and u-waves. I hope this helps but if it doesn't I do have a couple resources that I continue to use even today. Google "online EKG rhythm interpretation" You'll get it, hang in there. I 'll check for reply in a couple days. -Mike :)

Ok I am in EKG hell...I am in paramedic class and half way done. We are covering cardiology this semester and I am completly lost. This is so not me to not to understand something. Can anyone offer a suggestion on a good ekg book or a website that I can practice online?

i too am in ekg hell.... been studying for like 8 hours today... and im still lost. AH

I know alot of people in my class have basic arrythmias book.....

And that is the problem. They're trying to learn and memorise some basic arrhythmias when what they should be doing is learning EKGs from the foundation up. UNDERSTANDING EKGs is MUCH easier (and smarter) than trying to learn to recognise some squiggly lines by memorising random rules and features.

Again, the Dubin book is the ONLY answer. Every other thing you try will just complicate things for you, and leave you still needing to learn a lot more later when you move to 12 leads.

I know alot of people in my class have basic arrythmias book.....

Seriously, if you are referring to the Huszaar book, then yeah, ditch it for the Dubin Book, too complicated if your just setting out

Approximately 1 year ago I took the advice of the " Duke" and purchased the Dale Dubin book. I found it without question to be a excellent learning tool. I went through it cover to cover several times until it all began to sink in. I continue to reference this book to this day and will continue to do so.

An excellent investment in your education as a medic.

Good luck from a fellow student.