Calgary. PET testing @ U of C

Sammy_Jane

Hello. I was wondering if you anyone could tell me what the PET test is all about. Do you really need to train hard before you even think of trying it? And what kinds of things do you have to do in order to pass it? I am going to be doing it sometime in the next year just need to know how ready i need to be for it. If you have done it let me know what you thought about it!! Thanks for the help.

PET DESCRIPTION

UNIVERSITY OF CALGARY – BE FIT FOR LIFE CENTRE

Introduction

The Physical Evaluation Test is comprised of two individual tests. The first is a threecycle

circuit obstacle course, simulating four typical physical labor tasks which

paramedics must perform on a daily basis.

Strength

Agility

Anaerobic

Flexibility

The second is a stretcher carry test in which a stretcher, weighted with (approx.) 160 lb

must be carried in a controlled manner up and down two flights of stairs with the aid of a

partner. The partners switch position after each flight.

Wear gym attire with running shoes. It is advisable to wear clothing that will cover your

arms and legs. Be well rested and well nourished. (Be sure to follow all of the

preliminary instructions).

History

Having incurred the highest per capita on-the-job lost time accident frequency of all City

of Calgary departments during the last several years, the Emergency Medical Services

(EMS) Management Committee has proposed the development of a job specific physical

ability obstacle course for pre-employment screening of recruits. Pre-employment

screening allows the EMS to determine whether a worker is physically fit for

employment based on a recruit’s ability to perform job-related tasks. The nature of

paramedic work dictates immediate response and reaction after possible ong periods of

sedentary tasks, challenging a person’s physical capacity with no warm up or physical

preparation. Given the wide variety of hazards that face the EMS paramedic, a properlydesigned

screening process can protect susceptible workers from unnecessary risk of

injury, as well as reduce the economic costs of work compensation, disability claims, lost

productivity, and absenteeism for the City of Calgary.

The Physical Evaluation Testing (PET) developed by Mount Royal College Sport and

Fitness Resource Centre is practical in its development and implementation, and the PET

screening procedure will be able to accurately predict the risk of future injury, illness, and

performance. The development of the PET program was jointly sponsored by the

Recreation, Parks, and Wildlife Foundation and the City of Calgary Emergency Medical

Services Department. Research showed that there are no pre-existing programs of this

www.mhc.ab.ca/befitforlife/pdf/PET.pdf

Unless you are in good physical and cardio health, I would train for the test. Just like any physical evaluation you have to make sure you are prepared. There are links to the course and description on the U of C website I believe.

I have not personally done the test but I know people that have and they said it was a good thing they trained for it.

Definitely train for it. In fact, you can contact UofC and hire a trainer who can specifically help you prepare for the test.

Last PET test I heard about, 50% of applicants were unsuccessful. Most I spoke to who were unsuccessful tried to "pace" themselves. There is not time for pacing, apparently.

The other common complaint I hear is that applicants are told not to eat within x amount of time prior to testing - but you could be waiting 3-4 hours once you arrive before you test - so remember to bring a snack for sure.

Good luck...

They actually use a very similar one for the Niagara Region here in Ontario. For the most part, if you're in 1/2 decent shape, you'll have no problems. I'm in my late 30s and found myself challenged but had no problems coming under the time limit and meeting the physical requirements. I do not work out regularly, run marathons or consider myself Mr. Fitness by any means.

Can you run a 5k without calling 911? If so, your cardio should be fine. Can you lift as mentioned in one of the previous posts? If so, no worries. If you answered no to any of those, you will probably find yourself extremely taxed and "possibly" unable to complete the PET course in the alloted time.

I highly suggest wolfing down a couple of high-energy granola bars and to keep yourself well hydrated prior to the test. Also, no coffee or smoking as these will temporarily raise your BP... they "may", as they do in Niagara, record your HR and BP before and after the test to ensure it falls within healthy norms.

Sounds like you have some time to prepare, which is great. Good luck on your testing!

It's a tough test. I went and did it. You should for sure hold the food for a few hours prior to unless you want to yack in front of the other 20-30 participants. Make sure you also have a BP, so in other words if you have elevated blood pressure take care of it before wasting your time and money going there. Your vitals will be checked prior to and after the test.

I never prepared for the test myself and did it within the time frame but it is VERY demanding. I would strongly encourage training prior to going there.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.