Emergency room jobs for paramedics

gwrenn

I worked within an ER at a major level one trauma center for a year to take a break from street EMS. For me, the pay was about equal so I couldn't complain, I had a better schedule, and had the opportunity to see and do more within my skill level daily than I ever did on the streets (even though I work within a busy service). They split the medics up into trauma, fast track, medical, cardiac, or peds. I was in the trauma area and loved every minute of it. Docs would frequently show us things encouraging us to learn explaining everything from CT scans, to how and why such an injury affected a patient in the way it did. I did some time in the medical side and got the same response from the docs there. I ended up leaving only because the schedule I worked didn't allow to continue with school and getting a shift change was extremely difficult, so I returned to regular EMS. However, I learned alot and if given the opportunity again, I'd take it. We started IV's, intubated, pushed drugs, and operated more independently than many of the nurses. Great learning experience, especially if you get in a trauma center or busy top notch medical hospital.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I worked within an ER at a major level one trauma center for a year to take a break from street EMS. For me, the pay was about equal so I couldn't complain, I had a better schedule, and had the opportunity to see and do more within my skill level daily than I ever did on the streets (even though I work within a busy service). They split the medics up into trauma, fast track, medical, cardiac, or peds. I was in the trauma area and loved every minute of it. Docs would frequently show us things encouraging us to learn explaining everything from CT scans, to how and why such an injury affected a patient in the way it did. I did some time in the medical side and got the same response from the docs there. I ended up leaving only because the schedule I worked didn't allow to continue with school and getting a shift change was extremely difficult, so I returned to regular EMS. However, I learned alot and if given the opportunity again, I'd take it. We started IV's, intubated, pushed drugs, and operated more independently than many of the nurses. Great learning experience, especially if you get in a trauma center or busy top notch medical hospital.

I worked in a similar situation but our hospital was much smaller, 16 beds.

I was given the same responsibilities as the nurse and was actually able to do more. I also worked the ambulance when a EMS call came out so it was the best of both worlds.

I intubated, assisted in chest tube placement, pumped stomachs and put in foleys. I did a lot more than you think.

If you can get into a hospital like mine or Fire911medic's you can learn so much plus your CEU's are free most of the time.

If you are interested in moving to Missouri I can point you in the direction of the two hospitals I used to work at. Both had very similar setups.

PM me and we can talk

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

For about a year or so the resource trauma center that we ran out of had a couple of paramedics work the ER. But for some reason I'm not sure about they cancelled the program. And actually at any given time there were so many students doing their clinicals so often that it was like they still had medics working but free of charge. A lot of free help. And there were a few of us, including me, deemed proficient enough to work in ICU monitoring the ECG telemetry as clinical hours. Which I really liked doing.

• 2 months later...

In Louisiana, many places use paramedics in the ED. In the hospital I worked in part-time for a couple of years, due to the nursing shortage, paramedics were hired in their place. Our patient was our patient. We were allowed to do everything except triage and hanging blood. Occasionally the ER doc would be working a code in one room, and if another came it, it was ours to manage until he got freed up. The pay was considerably more hourly than working the street. If you can find one with differentials for working nights, the pay increases considerably. It is much easier on your back too!

• 3 weeks later...

In September of 07 I started working for Johnson County EMS in Arkansas. They are based our of Johnson Regional Medical Center in Clarksville AR. I always thought that my IV and Patient skills were good but this made me step back and take another look. If you stop and consider the actual time that we on the ambulance actually spend with a patient it is very little. I have been able to hone my "PEOPLE SKILLS" better in the ER.

When I work, we are to take the calls but when not on a call function basically as a nurse until such time as a CODE happens. Then we basically just take over and the DOC looks on.

ITS GREAT!!!

In September of 07 I started working for Johnson County EMS in Arkansas. They are based our of Johnson Regional Medical Center in Clarksville AR. I always thought that my IV and Patient skills were good but this made me step back and take another look. If you stop and consider the actual time that we on the ambulance actually spend with a patient it is very little. I have been able to hone my "PEOPLE SKILLS" better in the ER.

When I work, we are to take the calls but when not on a call function basically as a nurse until such time as a CODE happens. Then we basically just take over and the DOC looks on.

ITS GREAT!!!

Thought you were rural? I spend more time with my patients than the average ER nurse will.

Thought you were rural? I spend more time with my patients than the average ER nurse will.

I have property and lots of family in Johnson County, Arkansas. Trust me, Spenac, it's not nearly as "rural" as you are. :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.