A Frustrating One

dahlio

He passes the stroke scale fine. No facial droop, equal grips, push up/down on feet is good, and is easily understandable. He'll follow commands eventually after constant repetetiveness. As stated before, ALS does BGL and gets 104. He's sat'ing at 99% on 15L NRB, didn't get a number before he was placed on NRB. Like I said, not a scratch on him, except for the ankle. No evidence of a postictal state.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, observing the ankle....

Look for any puncture marks, cuts, ingrown toenails, etc....if infection has set in, sepsis could have occurred. I didn't see the temp of the pt., but not all people with sepsis have a high temperature. Look for pus-filled areas, green areas, red/pink streaks.

One of the problems I see with this being sepsis is the fact that his blood pressure is so high. The majority of time, with septic pts, is that their b/p is usually lower than normal.

Any fanged vipers around or is this patient a collector of armpit-less slithery things ?

I think I see where ERdoc is going with this...Septic arthritis perhaps or DVT that is kicking of micro emboli ... or worse....... but no signs of SOB or Dyspnea, is that correct ?

cheers

Any fanged vipers around or is this patient a collector of armpit-less slithery things ?

I think I see where ERdoc is going with this...Septic arthritis perhaps or DVT that is kicking of micro emboli ... or worse....... but no signs of SOB or Dyspnea, is that correct ?

cheers

Actually I was thinking of more exotic thing than DVT and septic joints. I hear zebras in this case so I was looking at envenomations and atypical neurosyphillis. Give me a while and I am sure I can come up with a few more bizzare ones. Has this pt ever been exposed to bat guano or does he own a flea and tick farm?

No difficulty breathing. The ankle is tender, and pale. Distal Pulse is not present. The pt. has a hard time following your finger when it's to the left of him. He's still asking the same questions over and over again.

Ah the old neuro-cryptosporidium senario...that's the 2nd time I fell for that one ! argh I hate when that happens !

So any nystigmus present ? Seeing as were headed towards an assessment of Cranial Nerves next.

One of the problems I see with this being sepsis is the fact that his blood pressure is so high. The majority of time, with septic pts, is that their b/p is usually lower than normal.

In septic shock low b/p is a late sign and rather ominus as well, don't think were headed down that road just yet ..... I hope. :shock:

But if he keeps asking the same question over and over ...he just may sustain a new head injury, not coup contra coup... but BLUNT TRAUMA from my 3 cell.... j/k.