Stumped

rdelisle

Jmac to the best of my knowledge the afib was controlled with meds in hospital and determined to be transient in nature with no known recurrence. Also yes the pulse was 56 however it increased to low 60s enroute with constant cardiac monitoring. Patient also maintained a pulse ox of 98% or better on room air and all other vitals remained constant. Perhaps it is as Ak and itku2er stated and nothing more than a healthy 70 year old who is a little tuckered out after playing tourist.

Also yes the pulse was 56 however it increased to low 60s enroute with constant cardiac monitoring.

Did you actually physically palpate an increase in the pulse over time, or did you just notice a variation in the digital readout?

Palpated and observed on monitor. I've had to many times that the pulse ox has given me an outrageous number to trust it too much for pulse readings. Also I'm a little paranoid and like to double check when possible.

RD, i am not doubting you, i only asked as there is no mention of a pre-hosp ECG with the rate i wondered if it was Junctional or controlled A-fib. , but as you say you were there, thats why it is hard to try to visualize someone else's patient

Just like to bring your attention to the last line of my post "good call anyway",

cheers.

Sorry jmac I didn't mean to come across that way. I'm aware you weren't doubting me, I had three kids carrying on in the background and was a little rushed for time. I appreciate all the input I received on this and feel a litttle better about the call now.

In all seriousness, was there anything else in the ambulance that you could have done other than get him to definitive treatment.

Sounds like the guy needs to be followed more extensively.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.