HOW FAR WOULD YOU GO . . . .

WendyT

Today I went in to get a blood test done, they had a bit of trouble landing a vein, they poked me 4 times and in the end (5th) they decided to use a butterfly needle.

On the wall it says, do not request the use of the butterfly needle, it's upto the person taking the blood. After 5 tries, dont you think I had a right to demand it, my veins are always like this, it's never going to change.

What are our rights when it comes to blood tests when our veins wont co-operate?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reguardless of the sign that was posted you as a patient have the right to REQUEST a butterfly needle being used. That is your right as a patient, I dont see sticking someone 5 times if you dont get them in 2 most likely you wont get them in 4 let someone else do it.

My rule is the two stick rule you cant me in two you better let some one else try.

Terr

that sign is for morons only, the morons being the ones who posted it.

you get two attempts to stick me. after number 2 someone else gets to.

I had a lab tech get mad at me because I wouldn't let them stick my son a third time for a cbc.

They got mad because I was refusing but I told them, from here on out every stick you do to my son, I get one on you. They brought in the supervisor really quick and she got him the first time.

No-one sticks me or my family more than 2 times.

that sign is for morons only, the morons being the ones who posted it.

you get two attempts to stick me. after number 2 someone else gets to.

I had a lab tech get mad at me because I wouldn't let them stick my son a third time for a cbc.

They got mad because I was refusing but I told them, from here on out every stick you do to my son, I get one on you. They brought in the supervisor really quick and she got him the first time.

No-one sticks me or my family more than 2 times.

That reminds me of when I got injured many years ago. Male nurse comes in and trys to get blood and missed my veins which at the time were so big a blind man with no feeling in his hands could of gotten them. He starts getting ready to go again and I told him I would hit him every time he missed, he laughed, I didn't. He left the room and an ICU nurse came in and I had my least painful blood draw ever. The ICU nurse asked if I really told the other idiot I got to hit them for each miss, I said yes and she started laughing. Maybe I did not handle it right but I am nobodys darn pin cushion.

Wow spenac Well I am with Ruff no more than two sticks per person. And I hate the diggers gezzz Dont go fishing for a vein my arm isnt a lake.......

I never do more than 2 on anyone. Have on occasion done 3 but that was a little old lady that had nothing.

terr

THis topic brought this question to mind...

*I did do a quick search for this question (wouldn't want to peeve anybody)*. .. so how many IV attempts are you allowed in the field? admin, you can move this question to another thread if you need too.

We do 2, unless life threatening then we can keep trying or move to jugular or IO.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.