Possibly lowering the legal drinking age to 18

Lone Star

Should states lower the drinking age to 18?  

38 members have voted

1. 1.

• No, I think that could lead to a rise in drinking problems and car accidents.
    • Yes, if people are old enough to serve in the military, they're old enough to drink.
    • Yes, but only if they obtain a "drinking license" by taking mandatory alcohol education classes.
    • I don't know.

[

Personally, I think if you drink, you shouldn't be eligible to vote.

In Mexico on election days no alcohol is sold. They see the problems that can come up. Usually election days in Mexico are busy here because all the idiots that normally go there to get drunk stay home and get drunk.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In case anyone fell asleep in social studies class the 10th admendment is the one which leaves all powers not spelled out to the federal government in the constitution in the hands of the states, and the constitution says nothing about age limits for drinking. Of course, it doesn't say anything about slavery either, and I guess some states had an issue with that too, but, well, we all know how that went.

It doesn't say anything about privacy or health care, yet the "power of the purse" [maybe arguably interstate commerce, but that would be a stretch (see United States v Lopez, 1995 for an example of Congress taking interstate commerce too far)] is essentially the same way HIPAA is constitutional.

Anyone know how the feds got the 21 year statute instituted in the first place? Although it was the time of Ronnie Raygun, who was supposed to be all conservative and in favor of a smaller federal government, basically they trampled on the 10th admendment by threatening to revoke the federal highway funds of any state that didn't comply. A couple of states banded together to fight the pretty much outright extortion in court, but they didn't win. I think Louisiana up until fairly recently was the lone hold out who said "keep your f---ing highway funds", but the rest of them caved.

In case anyone fell asleep in social studies class the 10th admendment is the one which leaves all powers not spelled out to the federal government in the constitution in the hands of the states, and the constitution says nothing about age limits for drinking. Of course, it doesn't say anything about slavery either, and I guess some states had an issue with that too, but, well, we all know how that went.

http://www.asfar.org/zine/5th/cover.html

As you've said yourself on many times, 'google is your friend'....-10 for not practicing what you preach!

I've always been curious why it took a Constitutional Amendment to outlaw alcohol, yet the outlawing of drugs is done on political whim. Seems like the same legal standard would apply to both.

As for Louisiana being the lone hold-out, they still hold out in practice. They don't enforce the drinking age there at all. And, of course, if you drive their highways, you can see the result of them letting the feds keep the highway funds. Worst highways in the Union.

I've always been curious why it took a Constitutional Amendment to outlaw alcohol, yet the outlawing of drugs is done on political whim. Seems like the same legal standard would apply to both.

As for Louisiana being the lone hold-out, they still hold out in practice. They don't enforce the drinking age there at all. And, of course, if you drive their highways, you can see the result of them letting the feds keep the highway funds. Worst highways in the Union.

You should see some of the roads in Michigan!

Now there's another real good place for them!

Really? Worse than New York and New Jersey? I find it hard to believe. You really do need an SUV to survive some of the roads here.

Of course, I've never been to Louisiana, so what do I know right?

Oh, by the way, no drinking and driving for me! Last thing I need is a DUI charge on my permanent record or a few innocent dead people on my mind forever.....

I believe the stretch of I-70 from kc mo to st louis is considered by the truckers association to be the worst stretch of road in the country.

I believe the stretch of I-70 from kc mo to st louis is considered by the truckers association to be the worst stretch of road in the country.

i have seen too many kids being picked up off the road due to an underage dui accident

i agree they will find a way to get the booze but why open the way up more by lowering the limit ?

thats just crazy..insane

it is bad enough morons buy it for the kids or they dont get carded

why lower the age thats like saying its ok to go out and wrap a car around a pole ...........hell no