Working for minimum wage in EMS: Why?

BEorP

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just understand that in a hospital setting I"m not utilized to my full potential because healthcare doesn't know what i'm capable of.
I think they do know what you're capable of,it is more of an administrative issue at the hospital. The level 1 trauma centre here is considering hiring paramedics for the ED to help elevate the current nursing shortage ( as if there wasn't a paramedic shortage here :roll:). In this hospital position, the paramedic would hook patients to the monitor, start IVs and obtain blood as well as take monitored pt's to the floors once admitted. It doesn't sound like much for 2 years of schoolin' does it? Here's the rub. These paramedics working in the ED would be functioning as part of EastCare which is our hospital based flight and critical care transport provider.

I don't pretend to know the inner workings of hospital management. I have heard, which is yet to be confirmed, that it has something to do with hospital liability, insurance and the like.

They would use you if they could. As for showing nurses how to use a nebulizer and drips and such, someone had to teach you that. Nursing is more clinical based. I have to start IVs all the time in the hospital. It is a skill that they don't teach nurses. I don't consider myself on par with them though. I know my place in the food chain :lol:. It really is comparing apples to oranges.

As for the original question, no, I wouldn't do this for minimum wage. Even as a EMT-B I made $10.00/hr and that was in Eastern NC! :wink:

It surprises me when many describe their hourly wages, as being above minimum wage, then yet, when reviewing the yearly salary of most it is just above minimum wage.

What I have seen and continue to see is many describing making $10-20 hr., however; many do not describe that they maybe working 24 hours shifts and only get paid partial pay.. (16 hr pay out of 24, with O.T. after a certain time), or receiving a large hourly figure with no benefits. In which, what does one really have? Having a large hourly salary does mean fiddle if one has to pay for health insurance, retirement, schooling, uniforms, etc..

So yes, my hourly salary is not that great, but yearly compares with my nursing range. As well, I only have to work 10 shifts a month, and have all the benefits, which I much rather have.

The reason many Paramedics is not used is in ED's is because they are not educated to do so. There can be a wonderful working relationship; but there has to be a major change in the standard Paramedic curriculum. The standard paramedic definitely does not have the knowledge, or clinical exposure for broaden exposures. The same as placing a regular RN in the field setting. Two separate professions, with the same goal.

R/r911

I just understand that in a hospital setting I"m not utilized to my full potential because healthcare doesn't know what i'm capable of.

I would disagree with that. They know exactly what you are capable of. And, more importantly, they know what you are not capable of. That is why you are not used any more than you are.

You're not an untapped resource. It sounds to me like you are being used for exactly what you are good for: performing mundane skills-based tasks so that licensed professionals can be freed to focus on more important things.

Dust wrote:

You're not an untapped resource. It sounds to me like you are being used for exactly what you are good for: performing mundane skills-based tasks so that licensed professionals can be freed to focus on more important things.

Dust, you better be careful this chick might kung-fu your ass. :lol:

I feel no need to justify my decision to not participate to you.

Do you feel a need to justify your uninformed assertions about ACLS, which you have never even taken?

If you're just going to blow a lot of gasseous emissions from your arse here without any real information, and no means of justifying them, then your contributions are no great loss. But hey... if you have something to say that passes the smell test, then we're here to listen.

To run away is to remain ignorant. You're the one who loses, not us.

ACLS isn't a joke where providing care is concerned: a BLS truck can not push drugs except for O2 and D50, and use an AED. You wouldn't send those untrained for ALS out on CP or difficulty breathing calls.

The fact remains: certification and licensure are all we have, unless you have a better plan for the whole EMS world, smart-guy.

ACLS is a scam, always has been always will be. I have never understood why it is required for Medics who do not work under ACLS protocols but work under their Med Control Protocols. Exactly what have I learned over 15 yrs of ACLS? Nothing new thats for damn sure. ACLS has it's purpose for some caregivers and for new caregivers but it is a waste of time for most. Why not just have an in-house protocol/EKG review rather than waste my time sitting thru a class just to get a useless card.

Peace,

Marty

Why not just have an in-house protocol/EKG review rather than waste my time sitting thru a class just to get a useless card.

Peace,

Marty

I agree with your points. That would be ideal, but realistically how effective do you think that would really be? We are supposed to have refreshers, and CEU's but I see so many write offs, and coffee cup CEU's. The same with TQI and reviews, I see many EMS Physicians that are never involve with EMS, in fact can say most EMS physicians are usually more laxed in review and protocol development than any other part of medicine. Wish it was different, but as long there is no reimbursement, no law requiring such, then it will remain the same...

I know of many Paramedics, that if it was not for ACLS, there would never be any review of any cardiac protocols, ECG review, etc... Shameful, yes and I wished it was an isolated case..

R/r 911

Dust wrote:

Dust, you better be careful this chick might kung-fu your ass. :lol:

No kung fu nesesary, I don't derrive my professional confidence from strangers on a forum, though I enjoy the conversation.

Although I think I was misunderstood. For the third time, I don't think I'm better or smarter than nurses. At my hospital the main difference between me and a nurse is that they are allowed to push drugs, and I don't think it's errogant to claim the abbility to push drugs, since afterall that is a part of my responsibility when I'm on the ambulance. That one difference means a heck of a lot of money. Again, I'm not bitter about it and I'm not crying that it's unfair, just answering the origional question of why medics are paid so little. If I was in this for the money I would have gone to nursing school.

Apples and oranges are both fruit and can both be served with breakfast.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.