Working for minimum wage in EMS: Why?

BEorP

I can remember just a few years ago that i went to work for 5.55 and hour on a 16 hour truck. Ahhhh memories.

Can you explain a little why you were willing to work for this? Surely there were higher paying jobs available outside of EMS.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It all depends on you and what you really want to do. If you have found a EMS system you like-what don't you do like plenty of us before you and start from the bottom...working towards becoming a PARAMEDIC. Yes this is often painful.

It's no secret that EMS employers keep emt basic salaries low for a few reasons: 1 Department buget. 2. Emt basic is the minimum requirement to drive an ambulance. 3 If employers keep emt basic salaries low, it will encourage emt basics to go to PARAMEDIC school. 4. Low emt basic salaries deter "lifer emt basics" without any ambition from being a leech on the department

So to answer your question, Yes I would work at a low salary if I knew I was bettering myself and that my pay would be increasing as I became more of an asset to my department i.e a PARAMEDIC

Somedic Sends.

Maybe, but it could also make the problem worse. Hard to say based on the American economy.

In theory Medicare is somewhat universal health care for disabled, elderly and other circumstance patients.

However this has been one of the biggest, if not the biggest problems with health care money since the mid 90's when the gov. required providers to accept Medicare assignment.

It's only gotten worse since then all across the board.

Health care in America is a weird animal for sure. :)

I'm not very familiar with the American system, but if implementing government health care and running it well is too challenging, maybe it would be possible to at least have ambulance services run by some level of government and paid for by taxes (rather than trying to have publicly funded healthcare totally). I'm assuming that if you call the police or the fire department for help from either of then that you don't end up with a bill. Why should it be any different than an ambulance? I think if we start going off with that discussion we would end up with talk about whether EMS is an essential service (as I believe was going on in a recent thread).

It doesn't seem like there are any magical fixes.

I would not work for minimum wage as an EMT-B or Paramedic. Working minimum wage hurts our efforts to be viewed as professionals in my opinion as much or more than volly's.

I work with 3 different services, heres the starting pay for each level starting with the lowest paying and ending with the highest paying service per hour.

EMT-B $9.00 , $11.00 , $14.00

EMT-I $9.50 , $13.00 , $16.00

EMT-P $10.00 , $15.00 , $18.00

Yes I can make more money still in other careers, but this covers my expenses and supports my family. Cost of living is cheaper here than in many parts of USA as well.

Thank you to everyone for the replies in this thread. There has been a lot of good information discussed. It seems as though most people say they would not work for minimum wage as an EMT-B and those who would are only doing so because in their situation it is a necessary stepping stone before moving to EMT-P.

Due mainly to cost of living I would not work as a basic for minimum wage. I also agree with spenac about it "hurts our efforts to be viewed as professionals." If I could afford it maybe I would take the blow and use it as more of an experience as I work towards my Paramedic. However in the current living cost I choice to live in, it is out of the question.

Thus said I would work somewhere for more money, as I work towards my Paramedic.

I am glad the hospital I work at choices to pay EMT-B well. However this will not make me want to be a lifer, as my goals of becoming a Paramedic are not really about $$$.

I would not have started at the company I'm at now if they only offered minimum wage for EMT-Is.

I started at $8.00/hr and after my 90 day probationary period, I ot another $.50/hr. This with medical/dental insurance, LT diasability insurance, costs of credit-hour classes paid for by the company that go toward recerts, life insurance, and uniforms, it's about $34,650/year on a regular FT shift, (24-48). Of course, I work extra shifts every two weeks, and then do my "regular" rotation to cool off, but I bet I'll clear $35,000 this year.

There are other services, both private and county that pay "more", but some only let you work 4-12 hr shifts and it ends up being the same base pay. I like having two days off in between. I am about to start paramedic school in Sept, and when I get my ACLS card, I automatically get another $5,000/yr. When I complete EMT-P, I get another $6,000. That's an $11,000 incentive to stay and be a paramedic for them.

I'm going to start a thread which discusses another question that just popped up in my mind -why on earth would anyone go to a "school" that is not nationally accredited? Also, Why would someone get licensed to work in their state, and not be nationally registered?!?

...when I get my ACLS card, I automatically get another $5,000/yr.

$5k just for a one-day merit badge course that can be had for around $50 bucks? The fact that an EMT-I can pass the thing is testament to just how pointless and useless ACLS has become. And, of course, you having the card gives the company (and you) absoluely nothing extra to bring to the table. I'd be more inclined to pay my employees extra for a BS in underwater basketweaving than a silly ACLS card. I seriously question the intelligence of those running your system. :? Be scared.

I'm going to start a thread which discusses another question that just popped up in my mind -why on earth would anyone go to a "school" that is not nationally accredited? Also, Why would someone get licensed to work in their state, and not be nationally registered?!?

That's two separate questions, but I look forward to the discussion.

I haven't seen the new thread yet. But, it is unfortunate that students get hooked in to signing a $20,000 loan for a job that will pay $7/hr. Of course the school can promise a job to any unsuspecting person who is not aware of the turnover due to low pay and burnout. There's a gung-ho youngster just waiting for the opportunity to "bypass all that college stuff" and get on with the exciting career of EMS. And so as the "you too can do all this in just a few short weeks" advertisement goes, just sign here.

The words accreditation are used loosely by many "medic factory" programs. Yes the school should be accredited by the state or region of either a college board or a vocational board. Many people forget to check with their state professional EMS licensing board to see if the program itself is approved. If the EMT/EMT-P is approved by the Commission on the Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) and the Committee on Accreditation of Educational Programs for the EMS Professions (CoAEMSP) tjen they are usually good with the state.

Some states still do not recognize the NR as their exam. With the long list of hodge podge education and individual state certifications (46 last count), how could we possibly agree to have a nationally recognized exam by all 50 states?

Florida just within the past few years started accepting and using the NREMT exam. They still have their own paramedic test which nurses can also challenge.

Maybe somebody will start another thread, but this is old hash on the burner getting more burnt in the U.S. EMS educational system until the new standards and new attitudes come about.

$5k just for a one-day merit badge course that can be had for around $50 bucks? The fact that an EMT-I can pass the thing is testament to just how pointless and useless ACLS has become. And, of course, you having the card gives the company (and you) absoluely nothing extra to bring to the table. I'd be more inclined to pay my employees extra for a BS in underwater basketweaving than a silly ACLS card. I seriously question the intelligence of those running your system. :? Be scared.

That's two separate questions, but I look forward to the discussion.

Um, we are not allowed to analyze rythyms or use a cardiac monitor at all unless we have that card, so I don't see why you are so down on my employers. There is nothing wrong with getting an ACLS card; especially if you can't do anything with regards to chest pain calls, or other ALS stuff. They are just trying to add some incentive while you plod your way through school.

Why are you so damn sour, dude?

Lighten up, Frances...

ACLS isn't a joke where providing care is concerned: a BLS truck can not push drugs except for O2 and D50, and use an AED. You wouldn't send those untrained for ALS out on CP or difficulty breathing calls.

The fact remains: certification and licensure are all we have, unless you have a better plan for the whole EMS world, smart-guy.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.