Is EMS or ambulances a required service in the USA?

spenac

Should EMS be required?  

28 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No
    • No because it would ruin it for the Volly's

On another post on another topic a person stated that all areas in the USA must provide ambulance service or make mutual aid requirements for their citizens. The last I have seen is there has been a push to make it an essential service which would make it required, but at present it is actually considered non-essential thus is optional. In other words an area can say it's not required so we will not provide it because we're cheapskates. If I am wrong please provide the law to correct me. As a side are there any states that require it?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Pennsylvania, EMS is not "required".

Municipalities are required to provide police and fire services. In most places, that means state police coverage, and a small donation to the local VFC.

In our area, municipalities are becoming involved on the fire side. When you have multiple small VFCs serving one township, and they all want new apparatus at the same time, the costs add up fast. Most municipalities have forced the VFCs to work together, and in some cases merge.

Currently, municipalities CAN specify a "primary" EMS provider. There is a new law pending that will REQUIRE municipalities to "provide" EMS service. We'll see what happens.

On another post on another topic a person stated that all areas in the USA must provide ambulance service or make mutual aid requirements for their citizens.

Whomever stated that was F.O.S. (full of stool) ! Obviously ignorant of EMS within the United States and probably their own state. They need to come to my state, and tell the citizens that does not have ANY EMS. We currently have at least two to three counties without EMS. In addition we have lost approximately nearly 12 EMS within the last four years due to poor funding, operations, etc. In fact JEMS had an article in regards on how bad the current situation is. Our state legislature much rather spend the money on other pork projects, I just forewarned them not to have an accident as they drive through those unprotected counties, the buzzards will be there before help arrives.

Unfortunately, rural areas do not have the means and revenue to fund most EMS. This is even at a single provider/county level. Unlike most states, mine has very little volunteer EMS agencies, rather the F.D. will be volunteer with the EMS will be paid. Realizing that EMS has approximately 80% more call volume, attempts are made to be sure there is someone can respond. Most volunteers, cannot respond to the number of required calls.

At this time, those without EMS are being served by other agencies, but the response time is ridiculous and coverage is sparse, as this taxes the responding EMS services business. It is a never ending viscous cycle. Unfortunately, the citizens assume there will always be someone there and that somehow someone will do it. Well their wrong and until someone of prominence dies, nothing will change.

New legislation was introduced but tabled (or shot down ) to help fund districts (by combining local EMS) and forming districts so better management, reduction of duplicate services, and grants for EMS education to promote and recruit into EMS. Hopefully, this will be reintroduced and pass. If not, rumors is we will be loosing more agencies.

So should EMS be required, yes. Compare it with other public agencies, per volume, production and even risk management. Albeit most cities and communities do not see it that way, and see it as a luxury, we need to encourage and promote ourselves. This has to be done with education, professionalism and the support of the local medical community.

R/r 911

Just so the person that stated what caused me to start this topic doesn't take offense, they did come back later and say that was not what they meant, so maybe they are not quite so "full of stool"( :o thanks RR911). But I would still like to hear what laws you are aware of and also any pending laws regarding making EMS an essential service.

I was right about the police & fire, in my state. However, I made a mistake, it's not for the entire United States. Seems like it would make sense, but politicians don't fiddle around with common sense. Having Google'd for that info, I couldn't go back and change it as per the 90 minute rule.

I'm not offended. I'd have to respect and value a persons opinions in order to be offended by them. Though, I thank you for your overly obsessive commentary and not letting me forget my egregious error.

Not obsessed with your statement, but I am obsessed with getting EMS to be an essential service. As stated I am curious of any laws that make it a required service nationwide or even for just for a state. When you made your statement I actually was excited thinking maybe it had happened and I had missed it. If ever EMS becomes an essential service then funding will follow. Do you see all the grants that are available for Fire and Law as essential services? There are very few for EMS. When it happens, then hopefully we can do completely away with volly services and make all areas covered by EMS professionals.

I was right about the police & fire, in my state. However, I made a mistake, it's not for the entire United States. Seems like it would make sense, but politicians don't fiddle around with common sense. Having Google'd for that info, I couldn't go back and change it as per the 90 minute rule.

I'm not offended. I'd have to respect and value a persons opinions in order to be offended by them. Though, I thank you for your overly obsessive commentary and not letting me forget my egregious error.

so who's opinion do you respect and value? Just curious.

Personally I would like to see a universal system for every county where I live. ALL under one service and none of this 5 different services for one area. But they would have to be staffed with GOOD medics and not volunteers. They would have to be professional looking not show up on calls in shorts and tee shirts.

Lady

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.