The Private Ambulance Service Thread

Ok, we've had posts about Volunteer EMS and Fire Based EMS and I know we've talked about Private EMS before. But to the best of my memory we have not had a thread in a long long time actually dedicated to talking about Private Ambulance Services in general.

This thread is wide open to any level of discussion however going into this I want to say that I am not really looking to talk about any one provider specifically. However the realist in me knows that this will occur.

So have at it. What do you hate about them? What do you like about them? What are you curious about? Is there even one person who will say they had a positive experience with them? Do you consider them part of EMS?

I want to use this thread as a tool to try and maybe bridge the gap between providers, however again being realistic I know that there is going to be a lot of negative things said about Private Ambulances (and in most cases rightfully so).

There really are no ground rules here other than just the standard rules of the forum here at emtcity.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So have at it. What do you hate about them? What do you like about them? What are you curious about? Is there even one person who will say they had a positive experience with them? Do you consider them part of EMS?

I think the last question is the most important one. I do feel that they are part of the EMS system. Here in Florida, the private service will get the calls that the Fire/Rescue departments reject for one reason or the other. I have been on countless calls where we would run lights and sirens to a call and when we get there, there is a fire/rescue unit on scene. I personally believe that is wrong, but they do it. ALL THE TIME!

I agree with the statement that private services ARE part of the system. in many cases they are the system and run all the 911 service to the community. Rural Metro for instance in Fulton Co GA. (Atlanta). and those are some hard working mofos for sure. The problems that I have had and seen from friends of mine is that the Private companies tend to (and maybe not always....yeah right) abuse the hell out of their trucks, equipment, and staff. By that what I'm saying is they tend to push every last bit of life out of everything. In the area that I work, the privates do back-up work for the most part, and a lot of us get our start there, but then tend to abuse them because we are now working for a department/ district. It's funny how fast we tend to forget what life is like being on that truck and trying to get our foot in the door for the almighty 911 job. If your are in a similar situation, hate the Co not the crew, they just might turn out to be awesome some day when they build up their experiences.

When I worked in the "privates", none within New York City was a part of the 9-1-1 system, indeed, none of the community based VAS were, either.

If they had a "true emergency," it came in via the LandLine direct from either the patient, their family, or the staff of the care facility where the patient resided.

As mentioned in previous postings, there now are FDNY EMS ambulances, and "voluntaries", which are from mostly private or diocean run hospitals, which "volunteered" to run EMS as a part of the NYC 9-1-1 system. The next level is "volunteer" ambulances, usually community based ambulance services. They can be either independent or volunteer Fire service based, but they all are usually self-dispatched. FDNY, via the Emergency Medical Dispatch area of the 9-1-1 system, can contact them for a response, and theoretically for co-ordination of an MCI, but lately, drills seem to be refusing them entry. I don't know why, but the VAS districts within NYC are trying to find out.

Bringing up the rear, at least until a few years ago, are the "privates". They ran mostly private calls, or transported to and/or from hospitals and care facilities outside the 9-1-1 system.

Nowadays, the "voluntaries" are not putting their own personnel into the ambulances, they are contracting out to use "privates" as their 9-1-1 responder ambulances.

FDNY is a union operation, as are most of the voluntaries. Most of the privates are non union, or in unions that specialize in something else (I am still dumfounded that there are ambulance company workers represented by boilermaker's, electrical workers, and the United Federation of Teachers unions!).

What I like: They back us up. There are many of them to choose from for part-time work. They have less cumbersome procurement, (ie., if they need something, they go buy it. no political process, bidding process) They usually have nicer, cleaner equipment (because it usually is not used as rigorously) They have more flexible scheduling. They get to use profits to improve their system, rather than everything they bring in going to a general fund. They can aggressively go after dead-beats who won't pay ( looks bad for a taxing entity) We get to pick the cream of their crop for medics, we know ahead of time who the losers are. I'm talking about larger, well run privates here. What I don't like. I'm talking about a local level mom & pop operation now. The field employees are usually required to suck up whatever abuse anyone wants to splooge on them, especially nursing homes and dialysis facilities. They are staffed by youths, biding time until they get through school, hired on by PD or FD; by burn-outs (or f*ck-ups), or by long-term loyal employees who will never see the commitment they've made returned to them in any meaningful way. ; They (owners) put little emphasis on continuing training or QA/QI. As long as someone has a patch and a pulse, they can work. The crews know not to use the expensive meds because they'll get yelled at if they do. Then there's the 'golden child' phenomenon. A failed son of a local official/politician who got hired on as a favor, and who can basically do no wrong. Dispatchers who play favorites. The owner's family. All the owner's kids are supervisors, all have company vehicles & cell phones, no matter how little they work. Out-of-town transfers that come in just before shift change. Lousy (and very expensive) health insurance. Crappy (or non-existent) retirement. Some of the privates are a good deal if you are young, healthy, and single. Go to school, make your party money, truck & boat note & rent/house note. That's all some people want.

I must mention that the privates, even those not in the NYC 9-1-1 system, responded to the World Trade Center, both times, and even not so massive disasters, like the Golden Venture grounding (contact me privately for further information on that last).

This is the most polite and politically correct thread I think I've ever read.

Where is the bile, the hatred, the accusations, the conspiracy, etc., etc.?????

Come on people, you know you worked for a Private Ambulance service who only cared about money so the owners could drive BMW's while the staff had to pool money together for cab fair to and from work.

Or that the Ambulance service you worked for had equipment so bad that you had to ride 45 miles in the summer heat with no A/C while your partner had to have the windows down to not pass out from the heat.

Or that they have no business being involved in anything that does not require the use of a wheelchair.

Something, anything.

I myself work for a private ambulance company and have seen what they do and don't do.

More so what they "don't" do. It is such a hassel to get anything done at all. Its all about the money.Forget your employee's that actually make the money for you!

They don't want to pay for proper equipment and training for newbies. They are always so concerned with what other companies think of them they forget about patient care.

The pay sucks,the "insurance" sucks, and you can never find a supervisor around when you need one :x

Not to mention all the ED's and City workers think we are the scum of the universe because we don't have a fire logo on our vehicles! :evil:

I have a few....issues. Can you tell?

Sorry for going off like that! :oops:

[align=left]I work for a private service and yes we are part of the ems systems. we take all 911 calls in this county. Im not thrilled with the owners. they like to cut corners and cost but thats cuz they are private and don't get the funding. I do like working here and like the people i work with. it would be nice to have good up to date equipment but that doesn't always happen. in ems we are taught to work with what we have and compensate

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.