Tips for giving report at triage

I've had a student on car for about three tours now. He has come along pretty well with his pt care and assessment. However one big stumbling block seems to be his report to the nurse at triage. He gets overly flustered and seems to have trouble giving a coherent story. A lot of the time I have to jump in and get things back on track.

So I was curious if any of you had any tips or techniques you use for report and could pass on. As I seem to be having trouble helping with this particular problem.

Yes, I been doing this for 4 years now and I hate giving report, especially to a nurse that I don't know and is overly intimidating and would rather stand there and make you look like an idiot.

I do okay with the nurses I know (one in particular that I also get as a medic when I request ALS so we know each other fairly well). They ask me questions about the patient in a way so that I don't get flustered and embarrassed because it was something I didn't think to ask or something I don't know as I was not educated on the subject.

Keep it simple.

CC

HPI

PMH

PE

Interventions

Responses

Keeps it simple and straight forward. The more he does it, reguardless of what format he uses, the better he will get.

HPI & PE?

Sorry but different areas use different acronyms. Like you use h/o for history, as i use hx for the same.

HPI & PE?

Sorry but different areas use different acronyms. Like you use h/o for history, as i use hx for the same.

Actually, HPI, and h/o are pretty standard. HPI=history of present illness h/o=history of

PE can have several uses, but from the way I used it here it is physical exam and not pulmonary embolism or pulmonary edema.

Yes I 've never see those acronyms before. If I get my fave medics this week I'll ask them if they've seen those before.

*learn*learn*learn*

It takes time, repetition will make him comfortable. Have him practice on you if you have a long transport time, or later back at the station.

If you make a huge issue out of it, it might make him more nervous. He will be fine with practice.

I remember the first couple of times I had to give a report in a trauma room, with 10 nurses and doctors around I almost shit my pants. Now I am like is everyone here who needs to be here or should I wait. Talk loud and clearly, if they ask you a question you dont know, tell them you dont know. Dont make up answers.

I make it into a story. "This is Mr/Mrs/Miss so-and-so, X years old, with a history of a chronic AAA and diabetes and no known allergies. He/she/it was out walking today with a sudden onset of chest pain/leg pain/nausea. We did ABC. Do you have any questions about things that I may not have covered?"

Part of my ride-time is spent just writing notes - name, address, DOB, SSN, SAMPLE, OPQRST - that I can also hand to the nurse, once I've a spare minute. It is all stuff that will need to go into the chart that I write, and that also helps as a reference sheet for giving report.

And practice. Practice practice practice.

I always did this

what happened

what you did

how they responded

medications currently on

allergies

and then "Any questions?"

short and simple to the point. Nurses are busy enough without having to listen to a audiobook.

Usually, I try to keep it simple. Following the KISS method. Remember who we're talking to :lol: ( Just a joke, don't get your knickers in a knot).

Pt's name and age

CC

interventions and responses

V/S before and after interventions

past medical hx

medications currently taking

Allergies

It seems to work pretty well. Good luck with your preceptee :wink:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.