Blind as a Bat

Dispatched to 22 yom. Found in his residence, flushing his eyes under a shower head with cold water. Girlfriend advises he put ear drops in his eyes instead of eye drops. Paitent is in obvious pain. Scene is safe.

Couldnt they call a MD office to see what to do instead of a ambulance?

Would then just keep moist 4x4 on the eyes and transport. He wasnt allegeric to them was he?

A medic out here did that last year. :roll:

Box clearly says in big red letters... FOR USE IN EARS ONLY!, and has a big picture of an ear on the front.

This is what you get when you take ambulance jockeys and put them in a clinical setting without all that book learnin.

Hahah Ok ok... I give up. I did it yesterday.

No I didn't call an ambulance.

15 min of flushing, some screaming in pain, and its better.

Still a little tender today.

Laugh away EMTcity. Laugh away.

Pardon the fuzzy photos, but...

EYE DROPS

37ae78e3db.jpg

Note the word "Ophthalmic" and the large eye on the package.

EAR DROPS

355a614e03.jpg

Note words "Otic" and "FOR USE IN THE EARS ONLY," as well as the large ear on the package.

Of course, problems exist.

• 1. They both have the Bausch & Lomb label, which most people automatically associate with eye products.

2. There is no eye or ear picture on the bottles themselves.

3. The printing on the labels on the bottles is extremely small, making it impossible to read if you have an eye problem, which is quite probable if you are using this product.

• This is the same reason that most companies stopped making all pre-filled cardiac meds in similar coloured boxes. Brainiac firemonkey medics were giving Lidocaine to hypoglycaemics and killing them.

You'd think Bausch & Lomb would have gotten a clue by now and come up with a better plan.