Hospital Will No Longer Hire Smokers

VentMedic

Should it be a healthcare employer's concern if you smoke?  

34 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

South Florida Hospital Will No Longer Hire Smokers

http://www.nbc6.net/health/13609384/detail...022007&ts=H

POSTED: 5:33 pm EDT July 2, 2007

UPDATED: 4:34 am EDT July 3, 2007

WESTON, Fla. -- The Cleveland Clinic is going cold turkey.

The clinic announced Monday that it will no longer hire tobacco users, saying the hospital is setting an example for its patients.

"To set the example for the health care industry and to really live by their words of -- that we're trying to advise our patients to quit smoking," said Dr. Bernardo Fernandez Jr. "It really gives us the opportunity to set the example."

Smoking is already banned on the grounds of the Cleveland Clinic in Weston. Two summers ago, smoking areas were abolished and employees were offered help to quit.

Now hospital officials are taking it further by instituting a "no tobacco" hiring policy. Starting this month, all job candidates must take a urine test for nicotine. Starting Sept. 1, the hospital will not hire applicants who test positive.

http://www.nbc6.net/health/13609384/detail...022007&ts=H

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the next logical step here is to also not hire anyone who is overweight, right? Isn't obesity the new epidemic in the US?

I'm not even going to get into the whole invasion of privacy issue.

I think it comes down to too much government involvement. Whether it's employer government or the state and federal government. I realize we would be a healthier society if we ate right and didn't smoke but that should be a personal choice. Smokers are being discriminated against all over the US and it's time to take a stand. What government and non-smokers don't realize is that in most states the revenue from taxes would drop dramatically if everyone quit smoking. It's definitely a political issue and most politicians run from it when given the choice.

http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/full/155/11/1490

http://www.ps.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/con...ract/50/10/1346

This, of course, ignores the suggestion (i.e. not really a strong association yet, but it really hasn't been examined in detail either) that nicotine is helpful for people suffering from schizophrenia (and possibly bipolar disorder since it also affects sensory gating).

Well... there goes the entire Respiratory Therapy department! :|

I'm not even going to get into the whole invasion of privacy issue.

Good decision. You'd sound silly if you did. Smoking is public behaviour that has multiple relevancies to the workplace, not the least of which being productivity.

I wouldn't hire tobacco users either. Why would I when there is no shortage of non-users to fill the ranks? Productivity soars. Image improves. Absenteeism drops. Insurance rates drop. I don't see a single negative to this equation.

Well... there goes the entire Respiratory Therapy department! :|

Good decision. You'd sound silly if you did. Smoking is public behaviour that has multiple relevancies to the workplace, not the least of which being productivity.

I wouldn't hire tobacco users either. Why would I when there is no shortage of non-users to fill the ranks? Productivity soars. Image improves. Absenteeism drops. Insurance rates drop. I don't see a single negative to this equation.

So would you then agree that obese employees should be next?

So would you then agree that obese employees should be next?

No. Smoking is a voluntary habit, just like masturbation or surfing for pr0n on the Internet. It limits your productivity on company time and is fair game for regulation.

Obesity is a physical condition protected by the ADA.

Not even in the same ballpark.

Okay, two questions...

1. If he is so terrified of Iran that he leaves seeking asylum, wtf does he go back for?

2. And really, doesn't everybody say they only had "two beers?"

I hope he doesn't have to pass an IQ test for his citizenship.

I don't smoke (thanks to the fact that my dad does). I wouldn't touch the things cause I see what they did to his health.

I don't think your job has any right to discriminate against smokers. The hospitals I work are "Smoke Free Campuses," which I also disagree with. Now instead of the employees smoking in the back in smoking zones they are now smoking across the street in uniform giving the company a bad image. Even though I am highly against smoking I don't judge people base on the fact that they smoke. As long as it is not disrupting your work than I see no reason for the employer to use it as a hiring tool.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.