concerns about driving

brentoli wrote:

Because dispatch makes up everything and doesn't listen to the caller, right?

Easy there buddy. I wasn't commenting on the competency of dispatchers.

Anthony wrote:

Is any life-threatening call really more important than any other life-threatening call? Probably not, but to those "people" (remember, I said "people around here"...not "me"), though, it's more emotionally important (which isn't usually a good way to make decisions in medicine).

I don't consider any call more important then another, life-threatening or non-life threatening. Emotionally I try not to involve myself. Everyone pt. has their needs assessed and treatments provided that coincide with that, from a ride to the hospital to full resuscitation. Yes it may be more important to the families involved, however to me they are no different.

Sounds harsh but that is how I keep my sanity. Thats how I stay focused. Yes it sucks that kids die, it sucks that police officers die, you see some pretty F'ked up shit in this profession but emotionally you have to detach yourself, or you wont last very long.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, I didn't make it clear. By "People" I was quoting my previous post. EMTs around my area feel more strongly about certain, which is why officer down calls or pediatric arrests are more important to them and would thus go all out on those calls. I was attempting to differentiate them from me. Though, to be perfectly honest, I would go faster to officer down calls, only b/c I've had them go faster when responding to my call for help before. From a medical point of view, though, it's a personality flaw, b/c you should already be going as fast as is safe for every call, anyway (for me, that's usually the speed limit or close to when going code 3...or at least I try).

I think one thing to remember is that there is a difference between responding to a call and transporting. When your responding you only have to balance speed against safety. On the other hand, transporting requires balancing speed with smoothness (especially breaking and accelerating) as well as safety.

I think one thing to remember is that there is a difference between responding to a call and transporting. When your responding you only have to balance speed against safety. On the other hand, transporting requires balancing speed with smoothness (especially breaking and accelerating) as well as safety.

Completely disagree.

Both rides should be identical. I don't want you stressing me out with your driving at any time, no matter where we are headed. It's all about consistency. Same ride at all times. That way it is instinct, and not a specific effort you have to make at specific times. There is no decision to make about "how do I drive now?" You will get the same quality ride anytime I am behind the wheel, and I expect the same out of you or you are history.

Here we go again. I think the point is being missed. I would suggest a re-evaluation of your desires. You are 16, you are right in your feeling right now that you don't want to drive an Ambulance. When you are older, that will more than likely change. If it doesn't you shouldn't go to Medic school, you should just get out. Because if you can't embrace a big part of the job then the job won't embrace you and you will always worry about having to drive at some point. You need to learn your city and learn it well. And you need to be confident of yourself and your abilities with an Ambulance. It doesn't happen overnight by any means.

Onto the post about busting balls getting to Officer Down calls and Pediatric Codes. Everyone started bashing that person for stating a fact. That it happens where he is at. Nobody said it is right, however, that's just how it is in reality. Reality- Tech's will bust balls to get to a Ped Code or Officer Down. We can say it shouldn't be that way, but "one way all the time" is not applicable. I don't know about you, but if I'm responding to the same frequent flyer for the 5th time this week because he "doesn't feel well", I pretty much drive with the lights on for show and because for some reason dispatch classified it as something that requires yet ANOTHER hot response. If someone calls in a Ped Code, my human nature will want to bust through traffic quickly AND SAFELY. Just my two cents which I'm sure will turn into a half a peso by the time everyone is done lecturing me.

Another side note, alot of places won't hire you until you are at least 21.

Maybe dispatchers shouldn't be given out the complaint en-route. Then you can eliminate the emotional side of it, for those who cant respond to a call arbitrarily. When you arrive on scene they can update you.

How much help will you be to that officer or child if your ambulance is wrapped around a tree? Weigh the benefits opposed to the risks. If I arrive 1 minute later that pt has a much better opportunity then if I don't arrive at all.

Thats how the helicopters around here work, so there is no emotional aspect to the go or no go decision in yellow weather conditions.

hes right they recieve the patient info enroute...or if they dont go they dont know..

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.