An old "face mask"

I came across a strange device in the headquarters of my SAR unit yesterday. It was a tube, one end was similar to an OPA. From that end, there was a "trunk", out of which one long tube came, and another, much shorter one. According to a diagram on the package, one was to put the "OPA part" in the patients mouth, put ones thumb on the short trunk, blocking it, and blow into the long tube. Needless to say, this thing was just on display with old first aid stuff, not in active use. :argue:

I might go there again soon with a digital camera and post a photo, but have any of you seen this device before?

I'll post a picture this evening. The package even has a diagram on how to use it...

Rid, if you carried that thing around, I bow to your (former) advanced whackerness - it's not exactly "pocket-sized"...

LOL@S-tubes! Now there's a flashback!

You could make them out of two Laerdal OPAs, with the little adapter phlange in between the two. I still have a couple of those phlanges somewhere. But yeah, you could buy the one-piece OPA that was a monstrosity and really about useless.

This doesn't sound like an S-tube though. Seems like he's describing one too many tubes to be an S-tube.

It doesn't sound like an "S" tube. I've seen those, we even have a set of them on the ambulance. I'd like to see a photo, b/c over the past 60 years there have been so many different devices made to try and improve prehospital care (especially before EMS), it's almost impossible to guess.

OK, not quite as large as I remembered. :-) From the diagram, it seems that the rescuer should be kneeling.

Here's a picture of it in the package:

IMG_0273.jpg

Me holding it (for scale):

IMG_0276.jpg

The instructions on the package:

IMG_0275.jpg

The package, along with an old first-aid kit:

IMG_0277.jpg

Never seen anything exactly like that, but it appears to have an S-tube with an extension tube? I guess they thought the vomit would exit through the shortest route? I have seen something similar with a BVM style face mask and corrugated vent type tubing to a mouth piece attached to do the same purpose. It did have a "filter" that would prevent emesis from going up the tube....

R/r 911

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.