Calgary EMS - Work to Rule

EMSEDU

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you want to live in Calgary, eh? Good luck, you either have a degree under your belt or get stuck working 2 or 3 jobs in the fast food industry just so you can survive here. I wish they all went Edmonton, basically they can have it.

Big deal Calgary is the blooming oil biatch of Alberta, who cares, the cows keep getting fatter, the Exec's keep getting fatter off of us.

Here's a word of advice, dont move here,sure we are like only 90 minutes away from the Rocky Mountains, but if you do move here, you'll be sorry you did.

Must really suck to have that kind of attitude. There is more to my life in Calgary and don't worry, I am not after your job.

Hope the rest of your day is better :-)

Must really suck to have that kind of attitude. There is more to my life in Calgary and don't worry, I am not after your job.

Hope the rest of your day is better :-)

Actually it is pretty sad that you can have two fast food jobs and make more money than a medic. sad sad sad

Kevkei, please use my entire quote in your response instead of just the one that you want to use to try to prove your argument. I said that there were myriad reasons for people not to be able to move somewhere else. See text above this paragraph to show what I meant.

I didn't think I needed to as the original reference was right above it. I'm not trying to prove an argument, rather I was using the example that I quoted to make a point that this is a position many people will use. My comments were generalized and not directed at you specifically so I didn't see a need to elaborate or provide the entire quote.

If you don't like it, we can step out into the parking lot ....

(and have a beer, I'm buying!)

Actually it is pretty sad that you can have two fast food jobs and make more money than a medic. sad sad sad

I don't know where exactly that was said, but anyway...

Calgary is an exception to the rule, and obviously should not be taken to reflect Canadian salaries as a whole. People are making it seem that it's a hard knock life for paramedics (BLS or ALS) in Canada. I assure you, its not. The fact of the matter is that anywhere else a "fast food job" will be paying like $10 an hour.

So to make an equivalent living (based on a 40 hour work week) that "fast food employee" would have to work 120 hours MINIMUM to equal what your average PCP (entry into the field) made here. I'll take my averaged out 40 hour work week and go home happy thanks. Calgary EMS just hasn't "caught up" to the demands of other jobs thats all. They can't scale wages that quickly.

And PS - I live in the most expensive "cost of living" city in Canada (generally speaking). I'm doing ok I think....

So ruffems, you think that the strike is all about the money? Well you're right, its pretty obvious, since all other issues with the city have been settled. However its not a matter of greed, but of fair compensation for the level of training thats required for the job and call volume we face every day.

You say that with work to rule campaigns and strike action (which the govt will never allow) hurts the public. I'd agree to that, if it wasn't for the fact that were already in a situation where were understaffed, people are constantly working overtime, just to keep units on the street. Not to mention the fact that experienced Medics are leaving to take Industrial jobs, or even moving to lower paying jobs that have smaller call volumes. So now there are more and more inexperienced, newer people moving in to take those positions, who are getting burned out faster and faster because of the increased burden put on their shoulders. Does that sound like something thats GOOD for the public?

Higher wages are the only way to attract and retain the employees that will provide the highest level of care to Calgary's citizens.

If life for you is hopeless and what I pointed out to you about the cost, its like this, whether your working 2 or 3 jobs just to make enough to afford the high cost of living in a city such as this, great at least you survived to get past the point of doom.

Yes Calgary is a great place to live, that's only if you can afford to live here. I say by the grace of God I did. My family lives here, I am stating to you that unless you have a degree under your belt, such as a medic or whatever, you'll survive, but hearing the work to rule campaign of what the medics have said that they are not going above and beyond unless.

Well that's still decidedly on their part.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.