Facial Hair and OSHA?

After having the full beard for 20 years, from previous ambulance service employ, the FDNY told us all we couldn't have beards, so we could use the N95 "respirators".

Now, I also had to trim back my mustache, so I could get the correct fit with my MSA Millennium Gas Mask.

Side note: in the 3 years from when they were issued, I have done a self drill to see how quickly I could don the gas mask a few times. I am now on my third mask, as the one way valves on the nose piece don't seem to stay in place. At least I never have hadx to actually use the thing.

Ok ladies and gents; the only real protection against airborne pathogens is the p-100, and referenced from NIOSH and OSHA requires a quantitative and qualitative fit test. Although OSHA merely recommends no facial hair, NIOSH which is incorporated thru reference set a specific standard that states.

The following requirements and restrictions must be considered to ensure that the respirator selected will provide adequate protection under the conditions of intended use:

1. Workers are not exposed to a single unvarying concentration of a hazardous substance, rather, individual exposures may vary throughout a work shift and between days. The highest anticipated concentration should therefore be used to compute the required protection factor for each respirator wearer.

2. Qualitative or quantitative fit tests must be provided as appropriate to ensure that the tight-fitting face piece respirator fits the individual. NIOSH endorses the OSHA standard 29 CFR1910.134 for fit testing except for irritant smoke. Employees must pass a fit test with the exact model and size that they will wear in the workplace.

3. Respirators with tight-fitting face pieces should not be used when facial scars or deformities interfere with the face seal.

4. Respirators with tight-fitting face pieces (including pressure-demand respirators) should not be used when facial hair interferes with the face seal.

4. Respirators with tight-fitting face pieces (including pressure-demand respirators) should not be used when facial hair interferes with the face seal.

Which again proves the point that is based on employer preference. As EMS workers, the "only concern" we have is being exposed to active TB which is the main reason we wear the N95 respirator.

In the above sentence I quoted, it says "should not SHALL" which in leagalese allows the option/discretion of the individual or employer enforcing the rules. We just spent a long discussion on the references and the leaglities of "should versus shall."

It also says should not be used WHEN hair interferes with the seal, which implies that if an employee can prove he has a seal, then he is in compliance.

So again, I leave you with this...it is much easier as an employer to have a blanket policy to ensure everyones safety.

Ak, your right the legalese is subject to interpretation and the OSHA standards are merely “minimum” standards at best. It is up to the individual to make a self preservation decision to do the RIGHT thing. The only respirators certified by NIOSH under Part 11 that meet CDC filtration efficiency performance criteria for protection against tuberculosis (TB) are those with HEPA filters. Health care delivery settings are generally free of oil aerosols that would be degrading to filter efficiency. Therefore, N-, R-, or P-series respirators are appropriate for protection against TB in health care settings and other workplaces in which oil aerosols are absent. HEPA filters are critical in the prevention of the spread of airborne bacterial and viral organisms and, therefore, infection. Typically, medical-use HEPA filtration systems also incorporate high-energy ultra-violet light units to kill off the live bacteria and viruses trapped by the filter media. Some of the best-rated HEPA units have an efficiency rating of 99.995%, which assures a very high level of protection against airborne disease transmission.

So again, I leave you with this...it is much easier as an employer to have a blanket policy to ensure everyones safety.

And this is exactly what they do so that they don't have these long conversations about what "shall" means. :argue:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.