Which way do you swing?

ERDoc

Which way do you swing, politically  

28 members have voted

1. 1.

• Conservative
    • Liberal
    • I swing both ways

After reading a few threads recently I was curious to see which way everyone swings (politically speaking). Just from some very nonscientific observations it seems like more people in EMS are conservative while it seems most physicians are liberal. I would think it would be the other way around. Feel free to comment, but don't feel obliagted. Let's try to keep it clean and friendly. I realize I've lit a very short match in a room full of gunpowder, but I believe in you guys.

I'm Bi.

Feel free to quote that out of context.

I vote on the candidate. There are candidates from both parties I have lent my support, and mark of the pen to.

If I were to run for office, more than likely I would be on the democratic ticket. I support their fiscal ideas. How ever I don't agree with their stance on gun control, but I doubt you will ever see me on a level of government where that matters.

I am curious Doc, why would you think that?

I am curious as to what physicians he is hanging around with. :?

I haven't met many liberal physicians in my life. Damn few, in fact. Most are capitalists who wouldn't piss on a Democrat if his face were on fire. I suppose ER physicians might be a tad more inclined to be liberal since they are usually not independant practitioners (businessmen), but employees of the hospital (labour). But still, I don't think I personally know a liberal ER doc, except for a few lesbians.

I think this is more of a case of birds of a feather flocking together than a generalisation of physicians though. Most liberals seem to think the rest of the world is liberal too. Most conservatives seem to assume the rest of the world is conservative.

EDIT: I forgot. You're in New Jersey. That explains a lot. But still, NJ keeps putting Republicans into the governor's office, so something is going on there that isn't exactly liberal.

I am curious as to what physicians he is hanging around with. :?

I haven't met many liberal physicians in my life. Damn few, in fact. Most are capitalists who wouldn't piss on a Democrat if his face were on fire. I suppose ER physicians might be a tad more inclined to be liberal since they are usually not independant practitioners (businessmen), but employees of the hospital (labour). But still, I don't think I personally know a liberal ER doc, except for a few lesbians.

I think this is more of a case of birds of a feather flocking together than a generalisation of physicians though. Most liberals seem to think the rest of the world is liberal too. Most conservatives seem to assume the rest of the world is conservative.

Most ER docs are not hospital employees. There are some, but there are others who are independent contractors who must incorporate themselves and are considered their own company. There are others who work for a group that staffs one or more ERs who can ultimately become a partner or shareholder in the group and share the profits. Like I said, I am basing my observations on a purely nonscientific method. Most of the docs where I trained (LI, NY) reguardless of their specialty despised conservatives. I thought that was just because I was in NY, but after being in one of the more conservative parts of MI for about a year, most of the docs I run into are more liberal leaning(I haven't had much time to talk to docs from other specialties however). Most of the ER docs that I know who are conservatives are generally older (nearing retirement) and seem to be so out of touch with the patients that their care is questionable.

I'm pretty libertarian. I tend to be very fiscally conservative, but I honestly don't care about social issues that do not affect me (gay marriage hurts me, how, again?). Because of that, I generally tend to vote republican.

Hospital employees. Group employees. Same thing. You are not responsible for running your own business, so you are just labour without concerns for economic policies. That makes you more likely to be liberal than somebody who has to run an office practice.

The "conservative parts of MI" is kinda like the "cool" parts of Hell. :lol: That's a very relative term.

You are in the very heart of union country there in Michigan. Again, it's not a physician thing. It's a northern thing. Get out a little. There is (more) intelligent life beyond the rust belt.

Hospital employees. Group employees. Same thing. You are not responsible for running your own business, so you are just labour without concerns for economic policies. That makes you more likely to be liberal than somebody who has to run an office practice.

The "conservative parts of MI" is kinda like the "cool" parts of Hell. :lol: That's a very relative term.

You are in the very heart of union country there in Michigan. Again, it's not a physician thing. It's a northern thing. Get out a little. There is (more) intelligent life beyond the rust belt.

Most people that are in a group start as an employee, but after 1-2 years (depending on the group), you become a voting member and have a stake in all financial decisions. Most are very democratic groups that rely on the partners to make the decisions as a group. We do not run an office per se, but we do run our own practice. There are still fee-for-service groups out there where you eat what you kill.

Yeah, being in MI is a lot like being in hell (I assume). I miss NY. There is nothing better than a North Shore or Hampton girl (sure they're high maintenance, but they're worth it). I'm not used to a church on every corner, drive through chapels and a conservative press. If this area is conservative lite, I'd rather not venture into the real deal. Guess I should know better than to assume there might be hope for a place where are man can be dragged to his death behind a pickup truck because of his skin color and no one seems to care.