Hey everyone. I've passed my NYS Paramedic with flying colors and want to take the national registry so that I can move about and what not. My question is though that if I recently took the Practical in NYS (which is based off of the NR) do I still need to take the NR practical or just the written? I've searched for the answer and can't find it.

Chris

First let me say congrats!! The short answer is YES....(you need to take both) hind sight being 20/20, what you could have done is to find a NYS test site, that is also a NREMT test site and asked them to test you for both, but I'm not sure that they could have tested both at the same time.

I went thru refresher with St. Vincent's in Manhattan, took the NYS Practical, and then took the registry test practical, and written on 2 different dates.

The reason is that even though a site is a Registry apporved test center, they still send a Registry evaluator at the site to oversee the tests, so, I'm not sure they would allow you to test both NYS and Registry at the same time. Your best bet is to contact a Registry site in the N.Y. area and ask them to test you. Because I had taken to refresher with St. Vincent's I think they only charged me like $75. for the test. If you need a phone numbeer for St. Vincents send me a PM.

Former is correct.

It's a little easier with EMT-B, where you can get skills check-offs locally, without a lot of hassle.

At the Paramedic level, NR requires a big, formal examination process for skills.

Dust and Former,

Thanks for the quick answer. I figured I'd have to but a few people had told me if I completed a state practical within the last 6 months I wouldn't have to. Not like it's a big deal, if I can pass the state practical I'm sure that I can pass the NR.

Former, thanks for the offer for the number, I might take you up on it if I can't find anyplace around here (I'm in the Rochester NY area)

Chris

Dust and Former,

Thanks for the quick answer. I figured I'd have to but a few people had told me if I completed a state practical within the last 6 months I wouldn't have to. Not like it's a big deal, if I can pass the state practical I'm sure that I can pass the NR.

Former, thanks for the offer for the number, I might take you up on it if I can't find anyplace around here (I'm in the Rochester NY area)

Chris

You might want to ask those "few People" how to go about it,,, maybe they know some trick, or secret, whatever, but, my guess is, they are just misinformed, or maybe their class coordinator set up to have the registry on the same date as the NYS practical, and they had the practical instructors just sign off on both sheets simultaneously. Know that I think might be o.k., if the registry rep is present, and the practical testers are all NYS certified instructors, but you can't do it after the fact, because the skills sheets are sent to different places, 1 set goes to NR, the other to your class coordinator who forwards it to NYS-DOH.

Call around to local medic classes, I'm sure some have a registry test coming up.

Whatever happens good luck.

Your best bet is to contact a Registry site in the N.Y. area and ask them to test you. Because I had taken to refresher with St. Vincent's I think they only charged me like $75. for the test. If you need a phone numbeer for St. Vincents send me a PM.

St Vinnie's EMS is now run out of St. John's University in Queens. Just in case you had their old details

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.