A call to arms! EMT-B's defend yourself!

Ok well this thread is going well... and heres something that will really stir up the pot... I think we should have EMT-B's. Some one has the to the shitty calls I don't want to do! EMS is abused and broken, today i had a woman called me because she stood up once today 15 mins ago and it made her leg hurt for a second... It doesn't hurt now, or the last 5 times she stood up in an attempt to repeat the event... But she wants to go to the ER for an Eval. Or the person who has a headache for the last hour who by the way hasn't bothered to take any ASA or APAP yet... or the person who is nauseous and vomited x1. Granted some of these complaints could in a galaxy far far away have been symptoms of life threating illness... but i promise you i was there and they weren't! Someone has to tech these calls, and thats where the EMT comes in... that is there role... thats why we need them

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok well this thread is going well... and heres something that will really stir up the pot... I think we should have EMT-B's. Some one has the to the shitty calls I don't want to do! EMS is abused and broken, today i had a woman called me because she stood up once today 15 mins ago and it made her leg hurt for a second... It doesn't hurt now, or the last 5 times she stood up in an attempt to repeat the event... But she wants to go to the ER for an Eval. Or the person who has a headache for the last hour who by the way hasn't bothered to take any ASA or APAP yet... or the person who is nauseous and vomited x1. Granted some of these complaints could in a galaxy far far away have been symptoms of life threating illness... but i promise you i was there and they weren't! Someone has to tech these calls, and thats where the EMT comes in... that is there role... thats why we need them

Dude don't you know that every caller is actually dieing and if ALS is not provided for the child that sneezed once 3 months ago and the parents have called tonight because they just remembered, thats childs death is on your hands if only provide BLS. Beware of the importance of always having ALS for stubbed toes, I hear it is now sign of pendind death also, so is now an ALS call also. And nver deny a patient transport even if they admit they just don't have money for a taxi to take them to lunch, thats also an ALS call. It's nice to be so needed.

The power of the report button is in your hands.... use the force luke.

I think the button is broken.

Reporting the gratuitous profanity storm at the bottom of page 9 yielded no results. That was far more offensive than the occasional nudity that gets regularly deleted here.

Dude don't you know that every caller is actually dieing and if ALS is not provided for the child that sneezed once 3 months ago and the parents have called tonight because they just remembered, thats childs death is on your hands if only provide BLS. Beware of the importance of always having ALS for stubbed toes, I hear it is now sign of pendind death also, so is now an ALS call also. And nver deny a patient transport even if they admit they just don't have money for a taxi to take them to lunch, thats also an ALS call. It's nice to be so needed.

Very true I forgot that :thumbup:

I think Bushy's original first post says it all.

I think it's funny that everyone actually thinks they know what anybody else's true feelings are about anything. I thought the original post was rather specific about the terms and conditions that were hopefully going to be applied to this thread. I feel that the fact that I explained it so thoroughly, shows that I understand how things work around here.

I knew that it was probably going to degenerate down to an all out moronathon, but I was hoping that enough people would have honored the concept and that I could have just ignored the off-topic ones.

And BTW, Dustdeveel himself proposed that this thread be started, and I daresay noone is taking him to task about knowing where this was going to end up. So stop giving me the old "you obviously don't understand his views..." routine. I don't care, and I think that people should be speaking for themselves and not other people. I doubt that Dust appreciates anyone taking up the gauntlet for him, he likes to pick the thing up himself.

ADMIN- thanks for the chuckle... maybe my schwartz isn't as big as yours... :|

While I ponder on a justifiable answer, I will give a great short answer. Where did all of these "god sent" paramedics get their start? I will be taking my NR to be a paramedic shortly, but meantime, as they tell you in class, DON'T FORGET THE BASICS. We all started somewhere, and it isn't where we are now.

I think I have finally read all the responses to this post. I agree with a few and naturally have an issue with a few.

I'm an EMT-IV in one state but only recognized as a Basic in another due to the fact that they wish to remain in the stone ages of EMS care..Not my choice for it to be this way but there are times when I feel like I have my hands tied behind my back while working as a Basic. Aside from my need to state that I see no reason for any Basic to stand up and defend their level of care against those of higher learning.

Medics are medics only due to the drugs they can push. The rest of patient care is the same. Sizing up a scene, patient assessment, Sample, splinting, bleed control, baseline vitals (so a medic can read a 12 lead) all from medical to trauma. I do feel all Basics should be upgraded in their skills to be able to apply the use of D50, IV's--NS and LR, epi, nitro etc. Basics are just as valuable to this field as any of the higher trained individuals in question. Now then with the question of two medics being on every truck - I have to ask why it would be necessary. If medics are trained appropriately and have somehow maintained some level of intelligence through the big-headedness so many seem to go through then it should be deemed that it only require one to know the correct method of treatment and the correct dosages of the meds they are pushing in order to treat the signs/symptoms of any patient. If this is the case then what would Medic #2 be doing in the mean time?

I'm sure I'll get slammed for saying this but this is how I see it. The only alternative to the Basic level is to upgrade and allow them to learn more skills. I think A&P 1&2 should be required classes for any person wishing to join the medical field regardless of what level of care they wish to perform therefore providing the knowledge necessary to enhanced patient care.

I think I have finally read all the responses to this post. I agree with a few and naturally have an issue with a few.

I'm an EMT-IV in one state but only recognized as a Basic in another due to the fact that they wish to remain in the stone ages of EMS care..Not my choice for it to be this way but there are times when I feel like I have my hands tied behind my back while working as a Basic. Aside from my need to state that I see no reason for any Basic to stand up and defend their level of care against those of higher learning.

Medics are medics only due to the drugs they can push. The rest of patient care is the same. Sizing up a scene, patient assessment, Sample, splinting, bleed control, baseline vitals (so a medic can read a 12 lead) all from medical to trauma. I do feel all Basics should be upgraded in their skills to be able to apply the use of D50, IV's--NS and LR, epi, nitro etc. Basics are just as valuable to this field as any of the higher trained individuals in question. Now then with the question of two medics being on every truck - I have to ask why it would be necessary. If medics are trained appropriately and have somehow maintained some level of intelligence through the big-headedness so many seem to go through then it should be deemed that it only require one to know the correct method of treatment and the correct dosages of the meds they are pushing in order to treat the signs/symptoms of any patient. If this is the case then what would Medic #2 be doing in the mean time?

I'm sure I'll get slammed for saying this but this is how I see it. The only alternative to the Basic level is to upgrade and allow them to learn more skills. I think A&P 1&2 should be required classes for any person wishing to join the medical field regardless of what level of care they wish to perform therefore providing the knowledge necessary to enhanced patient care.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.