The FAILURE of EMS in the US ?

tniuqs

Terri: Whats wrong with Paramedics in an ER?

YES EXACTLY!

This valuable resourse in a cooperative Health Care Model is far to under utilized.

So just WHY is this?

I think I know...simple territorialism.

tniuqs, I'm trying really I am, but I don't see how this is "Funny Stuff".;)

Argh...I screwed up AGAIN.

Any Mod or Admin out their in "internet world" can change this to the Right forum... would get some of that egg off my face. :oops:

Thanks in advance!

my bad, nope just stupid! :shock:

More of the same really. We all know EMS is broken. Fixing the problem is a bit more complicated.

I disagree with the thought that Nurses do not belong in the field. You must be careful with sweeping generalizations. I think the paramedic should be the prehospital standard of care; however, a Nurse can be a valuable asset and a good addition to the team. For example, look at the many HEMS services that utilize RN/Medic teams. I work in such an environment, and have to say that with the combined experience we are able to provide complex care in nearly every situation. I do not think every Nurse is entitled or qualified to work in the field, but there are specific individuals who can make great field providers.

On a side note, I agree that paramedics do not need RN preceptors. A properly qualified and educated paramedic should fill that role. In addition, I have always supported having paramedics work within the ER.

Take care,

chbare.

Well:

I personally would not give that much credit just yet, the summary that Phelps is quite indicative of the actual reality in Canada as well.

tniugs, I was mostly referring to the fact that most, if not all, EMS is a profession with good pay and benefits. It is a career in Canada rather than a hobby as it seems to be in the US save the more urban areas. Even some of those seem to be staffed with hobbiest.

I do see a trend here to more and more paid services. People in my area, and I will only speak for my area, tend to not volly and are actually demanding to be paid for their services, especially medics. In return, services are asking for AAS degrees and NREMT. As NC is not a NR state, they cannot force these requirements at this time, but it is a trend beginning and I for one embrace it.

YES EXACTLY!

This valuable resourse in a cooperative Health Care Model is far to under utilized.

So just WHY is this?

I think I know...simple territorialism.

Hahaha!

Congratulations! With this exchange, you two just qualified this thread for the "Funny Stuff" forum. :lol:

Everything that Phelps said is what I have been saying all along -- especially the nursing part -- and facing much the same flak as he will receive.

SQUINT: Minus five for not quoting your source. Do you have a link to the original article?

http://www.emsresponder.com/print/Emergenc...E-of-EMS/1$5494

I hope that works fer you.....

Now just a query just where am I on the Dust devil scale for posts...like over all.

Am I out of the hole yet?

I agree, we need some major fixes... and no offense to the vollies but the longer you do it for free, more it hurts us... you dont see vol. doctors running hospitals, or Vol. Nurses at nursing homes... and im not saying you cant do EMS, but that you should be getting paid just like me. I dont want to rant about this, but I do plan on reposting that article anywhere I can... this is a message that needs to get out.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.