Patient Care (or lack there-of) Attn. Va. providers

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. This post went down hill so fast. Maybe we should focus on the facts here, instead of assumptions.

I don't leave the ambulance with out my jump bag. Last year we had a guy that fell down 100 times probably, I took my jump bag in every time.

Be Prepared. The BSA uses it as a motto for a reason. Radio, jump kit, clipboard. Poorly stocked bag, missing something out of it? Your fault.

How do the posts here go downhill and off topic so fast! Don't answer that, I don't want to hijack this thread.

I don't leave the ambulance with out my jump bag.

I do.

What's the point of getting stuck with an EMT for a partner if you can't make her carry all your crap for you?

I think you are being a little hypersensitive. It did not appear to me that he was impugning all EMS providers of an entire state.

You have to really, really, really stretch it to say that, dude

And speaking of professionalism, it's not very professional to make broad-sweeping assumptions either.

I think the title of the post says it all, either way like I said if the comment of Virginia was left out I dont think it would have been a problem.

I think the title of the post says it all...

I do too! That's why I am seriously questioning either your reading comprehension or your reasoning abilities.

Obviously, one of them is faulty.

I think the title of the post says it all, either way like I said if the comment of Virginia was left out I dont think it would have been a problem.

What Virginia comment is that? The one where she mentions she owns property in the Commonwealth? That has what to do with EMS providers in Virginia?

I think your reading comprehension could use some work. She was pretty clear in her intent and meaning from the thread title through to the end of both of her posts in this thread.

-be safe

Okay, you think that was bad not taking everything in your truck to the 7 th floor to the unconscious patient. Listen to this one. You are called out to a 39 year old female with numbness and tingling. Ems crew arrive with all there bags and oxygen. The crew never interduced them selfs to the patient. The so called medic asked what was going on and felt the patients back and said it seems like a pinched nerve. No stroke like assessment was done and had the patient walk to the ambulance. The medic asked the patient to smile and the patient had a equal smile and then looked at the EMT and said your call and I will drive. Now the patient symptoms were neck pain, arms were flacied, numbness in right leg to the knee, dizziness and blurred vision. She told the EMS crew all of this. No bp was taken,no neuro assessment, and no oxygen applied to the patient. Patient ended up in ICU with Vertbral Artery dissection. Doctors stated patient had a TIA while the Artery was dissecting. How about that! What are your thoughts as a provider. Do you think the medic had no clue or were we just lazy?

if all you say is true then the medics provision of care should get him fired.

Doesn't sound like I'd want to be that medic right about now. No real assessment, letting the emt attend a patient with symptoms of something neuro goin on. Wonder what is medic license is worth right now.

Geez, that's terrible!

I'd have to fault the medic primarily but, an EMT should recognize when ALS is needed. Of course, the EMT could have preformed O2 therapy, vitals, A&O, etc. But in all, I suppose you could debate where the blame lies. It sounds like laziness, complacency, and incompetence. There's no room for laziness in EMS and in my opinion, aside from cardiac arrest, a lot of providers I've met have no interest and show only disdain for medical emergencies. Everyone wants to see an MVC or a stabbing. You can't choose which calls you receive.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.