Albuterol/Atrovent and Epinephrine

emt322632

sorry to miss led you

we can give it in increments to a max dose of 5ml nebulized

or im/sc in doses relating to the pt weight to a max dose of 3.6 mls

thats the trouble with trying to post while at work time is of the essence

stay safe

Hey Craig.. you mean 0.36 mg - SAME AS - 0.36ml right? I hope it's not 3.6mg! :shock:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hear in NS basic PCP can administer Salbutamol for ashmatics and after epi 1:1000 IM for anaphalatic we as ACP's run the whole board and recently do to no racemic epi around starting to use adrenaline epi for croup. So, yep basics do that here.

We work off line protocols that allow EMT-B's to carry and administer, Albuterol via neb, Atrovent ( in duoneb ) via neb, Epi 1:1000 vials draw up our own syringes don't carry epi-pens because of costs ( epi and syringe about $3, epi-pen $50+ last I priced, patient breathing freely priceless ).

Are Basics where you're from allowed to give Albuterol/Atrovent or Epinephrine?

I know in NYS, in the REMAC system I'm in that is, a Basic can use Albuterol and Epi-Pens if they've had the REMAC class, or if their squad does an inserviec training with them.

A campus first response team I'm on carries both Albuterol and Epi, and all are fully able to use them. The paid agency I work for however, seems to think that since we have fully staffed ALS rigs, Basics are somehow incapable of giving Albuterol or Epinephrine.

There have been innumerable times where I have had to meet my ALS on scene, and he hasn't arrived yet. (We run a weird program here, ALS isn't required to stay in house if they live in town)

I've beaten the ALS to the scene before, and had a patient that could have used Albuterol, but all I could do was stand there with my ass cheeks clenched.

When is Epi and Albuterol better now or later eh? lol

anyway, enough ranting, some thoughts?

The search key would have yielded you a lot of reading on this had you utilized it... :roll: Seems someone performed thread ccccccccccccpr

Where Im from were allowed,out of the 3, to only administer Epi-pens as B's although Ive given Albut and Atro when overseen by ALS.

Mountainman- Colorado

the basic emt's in Indiana are allowed to administer pt's rx epi pen and MDI albuterol inhalers only now it depends on the service if they need to have med control approval the service i work for they dont need approval

• 1 month later...

In, Nj, Epi's are starting to show up on rigs. You need a training class, and a medical director. Our volly dept. just had the training for it, which I attended. It was pretty much a class on the signs of anaphylactic shock, not actually administering the epi. They said you should remember that from assisting, when you took your inital emt class. The problem is keeping them at room temperature, which we are buying mini fridges for on our rigs. When is NJ going to get Glucagon? (going off on a tangant)

In, Nj, Epi's are starting to show up on rigs. You need a training class, and a medical director. Our volly dept. just had the training for it, which I attended. It was pretty much a class on the signs of anaphylactic shock, not actually administering the epi. They said you should remember that from assisting, when you took your inital emt class. The problem is keeping them at room temperature, which we are buying mini fridges for on our rigs. When is NJ going to get Glucagon? (going off on a tangant)

We let the vehicle's heating/cooling system keep the truck at a comfortable temperature. Otherwise, the truck is in a temperature controlled garage.

We let the vehicle's heating/cooling system keep the truck at a comfortable temperature. Otherwise, the truck is in a temperature controlled garage.

Yeah, problem is we have an old building, and it wouldn't be worth putting in a temp. control system (cost wise).

I can't belive a basic would want these.

I am a basic too. And I am pretty sure I went through the same course everyone else did. And I know we didn't cover the physiology behind these medications.

I know the indications and contraindications. But do we know what they do to the body as a whole?

Maybe with an expanded basic curriculum with more anatomy and physiology involved, I could go for this. But right now with the training I have had, I don't want this responsiblity on my shoulders.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.