Should all patients have temp checked rectally?

Should all patients have temp checked rectally?  

46 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No
    • I ain't putting anything in the butt.
    • Only in rare cases

Hey requiring all patients to strip, get temp rectally, and foley placed bet we could cut out a lot of calls. :):lol:

:laughing3: :laughing8: :laughing8: :laughing5: :laughing6:

Well, that just took care of half of our calls. A quarter of what's left I'm thinking I don't want to do the above to. Pleease don't make me. :sad1: :pale:

:laughing3: :laughing8: :laughing8: :laughing5: :laughing6:

Well, that just took care of half of our calls. A quarter of what's left I'm thinking I don't want to do the above to. Pleease don't make me. :sad1: :pale:

Sadly you must do it to all. :twisted:

Not all patients require temp.'s taken but that those that do will get their temp taken rectally. As far as privacy, a well properly placed sheet and covering will surpass that requirement, not anymore demeaning than XII leads, and other exposures.

Yes, I have taken rectal temps on geriatrics and pediatric patients, then again these are those that present a unique febrile symptoms. Usually, I will describe the patient as febrile.

So not on all patients that require an temp., just like anything else.. usually there is never an always in EMS.

R/r 911

Not all patients require temp.'s taken but that those that do will get their temp taken rectally. As far as privacy, a well properly placed sheet and covering will surpass that requirement, not anymore demeaning than XII leads, and other exposures.

Yes, I have taken rectal temps on geriatrics and pediatric patients, then again these are those that present a unique febrile symptoms. Usually, I will describe the patient as febrile.

So not on all patients that require an temp., just like anything else.. usually there is never an always in EMS.

R/r 911

Privacy has come up on other posts of mine( i.e. should we strip all patients). Thank you for helping make it clear to others privacy can occur in the ambulance. It's not difficult. The only never an always in EMS is the never an always in EMS.

for our purposes in the field, tympanic does the trick.. we do have an electronic thermometer in the pedi bag for those rare instances that we might need to do a rectal temp. I've used it orally on people whose ear canal was too small for the tympanic. However, on another subject I can state I always do this: a blood glucose level. on all patients regardless of complaint or presentation.

for our purposes in the field, tympanic does the trick.. we do have an electronic thermometer in the pedi bag for those rare instances that we might need to do a rectal temp. I've used it orally on people whose ear canal was too small for the tympanic. However, on another subject I can state I always do this: a blood glucose level. on all patients regardless of complaint or presentation.

Blood glucose level every patient, why? :shock: For fun and so they feel your pain? :dontknow:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.