• Basic, Intermediate, Paramedic
    • Intermediate, Paramedic
    • Paramedic only
    • We don't use them at all in EMS.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for the LMA being dummy proof.. LOL... So are CT's. If ya can't ventilate thru either #1 or #2 tube

I think that the simplicity of the CT is overrated, there is significant damage that can be done to the larynx by jamming it in with too much force.

As for LMA's our service uses them as a rescue airway, limited to paramedics only. I put in a few in my OR practicum and found them very easy to use in the hospital setting. I have yet to see one used prehospitally. However, I have heard word that we might be getting the King device soon. Which by all accounts seems to be superior to the LMA or CT.

We use the the LMA if we're unable to intubate. I've only used it a few times and only once did I feel like it was doing some good. The other times I felt I was better able to ventilate the patient just using a BVM and oral airway. It's also a skill that any provider can perform, basics, intermediates and paramedics.

Actually, the other one is KSU. :wink:

Ummm, actually the University of Kansas is KU. The University of Kentucky is UK. KSU is either Kent State or Kansas State University.

But unless you are paying tuition to attend them who really gives a...? :)

Ummm, actually the University of Kansas is KU. The University of Kentucky is UK. KSU is either Kent State or Kansas State University.

But unless you are paying tuition to attend them who really gives a...? :)

Looks like i need to spend more time looking at fly-over country :lol:

They are Intermediate skill here but are being dropped to basic. In the Hospital setting, every nurse is trained to use them and there are two to three on every resus cart in the hospital. And yes I know an ETT is the best way to secure an airway, LMA's are a good standby. I've put a few in and its like anything, every patient is different and working around those differences is the big part. Something is better than nothing, and I would like to say they are idiot proof, but I have seen some of the people on this site and wouldnt like them let loose with an OPA let alone an LMA.

Just my .2 cents. (Damnit I should have saved that for fuel grrrr its getting up there now)

Scotty

Theyre currently pushing legislation to allow Basics to use LMA's in NJ. Just takes forever to go through. Theyre pretty much dumby proof.

Any links or such that could prove that? I've heard many things concerning LMA's, Combitubes, and all these other ALS toys for basics in nj, but I've yet to see something concrete. Just curious as to whether you have a copy/link of it, or it was more of a word of mouth thing. Thanks in advance.

Not sure how I missed this topic but I was out of town for a while. I completely agree with Dust that moving the patient will easily disrupt the seal of an LMA. I won't even move a patient from the OR table to a regular bed with the LMA in place. I have lost a seal just by turning a patient's head. The LMA is not approved for prehospital use in Pennsylvania.

I've used just about every airway tool out there and my first choice for a rescue airway is the King. I've said this before and after using it for over two years I'm more convinced than ever. I feel the learning curve is smaller with the King than the LMA based on my personal experience. I use the King as a primary airway in the operating room instead of an LMA. I have used it as a rescue airway in the field.

We recently got some GlideScopes in the operating room and those things are amazing although at $10,000 each they are out of the price range of most EMS agencies.

The most important thing for airway management is practice. As I've said before you can teach a monkey to intubate but if he won't remain proficient unless he intubates frequently. The real problem is teaching him when to intubate.

Take the tools your state and service let you have and work with them on a routine basis. If you haven't looked in your intubation kit in the last month you probably should let somebody else take the airway.

Live long and prosper.

Spock

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.