Medical Dispatch Training and employment?

BC is now considering NON-medically trained applicants for Dispatch training positions. With AMPDS there is (in their opinion) little need for a Paramedic to be assessing calls that come in to dispatch centers and even less knowledge to dispatch ambulances. Give it a shot $65K+ per year and 4 on 6 off. Nice work if you can get it.

POSITION: Call Taker Trainees

OPEN TO: All BCAS Employees and Others

BC Ambulance Service is accepting applications for 24 seats in the September 2007 and January 2008, training program for Call Takers and Emergency Medical Dispatchers.

BC Ambulance is the largest provider of emergency ambulance response within the province of British Columbia. A critical component of the BC Ambulance mandate is to operate an emergency communications center. On a 24 x 7 basis, this center offers the public immediate access to emergency services through 911 calls and provides, 2-way information sharing with our paramedic resources.

If you like a fast paced, challenging work environment this career may be of interest to you. An ideal Call Taker will have the:

o ability to quickly and independently make immediate and logical decisions and take appropriate action in a complex dynamic environment

o ability to manage working under moderate to high levels of stress for sustained periods of times,

o ability to balance their personal and work life while working a rotating shift schedule that includes days, afternoons, and nights while working weekends and statutory or religious holidays,

o the ability to work co-operatively within diverse teams, work groups and across the organization to achieve group and organizational goals

There will be a career information session on May 24, 2007 in Burnaby. Registration is limited to 200 participants. To register for this session, send your name and contact information and include in the Subject Line of your email “EMD Career Information Session” to HBCASHR2@Victoria1.gov.bc.ca. Additional information sessions may be planned.

Please visit www.health.gov.bc.ca/bcas for additional information on this career opportunity.

Qualifications:

Supporting Documents for the following must be provided at the time of application:

1. Grade 12 or equivalent;

2. A current, valid OFA3. Applicants licensed at a higher paramedic level meet this requirement.

3. A valid CPR-C certification. Applicants licensed at a higher paramedic level meet this requirement.

4. Vision acuity of 6/9 in the best eye. Applicants holding a Class 4 Unrestricted Driver’s License meet this requirement.

5. Audiogram showing hearing ability within normal range (with or without hearing aid).

Selected applicants will be required to participate in the Call Taker and EMD Dispatcher Selection process, consisting of a progressive series of tests and interviews, and for external applicants a pre-employment physical and a criminal record search.

Additional Information for Applicants to this competition:

• Testing will be held on the following days:

Date

May 14,2007

3rd Floor - 2955 Virtual Way, Vancouver

May 15, 2007

May 17, 2007

May 18, 2007

May 28, 2007

May 29, 2007

June 1, 2007

• Testing for internal applicants will begin on May 14, 2007 and will continue until all internal applicants to the competition have been tested. Additional testing days will confirmed as required.

• Applicants who live outside of the lower mainland may write the written exams at the Local Government Agents office found in their community.

• Applicants who are successful in the written exams, will be contacted and scheduled for Criticall testing.

• Applicants who are successful in the Critcall test will be invited to an Oral Interview.

• Applicant who are successful in the above assessments will be required to provide a current, valid Audiogram showing hearing ability within normal range (with or without hearing aid) prior to the beginning of training.

To apply for this opportunity, individuals interested in positions within the Emergency Communications Center should submit a current BC Ambulance Employment Application form to:

Lower Mainland Human Resources Office

BC Ambulance Service

Suite 301 – 2955 Virtual Way

Vancouver BC V5M 4X6

Tel: 604.660.6006 Fax: 604.660.3280

Closing date: May, 31, 2007

NOTE: ALL APPLICATIONS MUST BE RECEIVED AT THE ABOVE ADDRESS NO LATER THAN THE CLOSING DATE OF THIS POSTING.

All current employees of BC Ambulance Service who meet the qualifications will be considered for any vacancies before external applicants.

BCAS thanks all applicants for their interest; however, only individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.

My school study buddy took the Salt Lake course last year, it was in Red Deer. She was going to work for Saskatoon which is the only accredited dispatch in sask. For that service you needed that particular EMD prior to applying, and EFD within one year of getting hired. It was a fairly intense 3 day course.

Thanks EMS GIRL, safety ed is the school that I've taken all my courses through, and with what I've experienced, I'd rather not take anything else through them...

Anyone know of Dispatch centres to call that are within an hour of Calgary? Relocation is not possible for me....

• 1 month later...

Also curious to see what anyone knows about what the life of a Dispatcher is like compared to an on-car position. I realize that most schedules are set alike- 4 on 4 off, that sort of thing, but do you work 4 days- 24 hours- staying at the station? Or 4 days, 12 hours-go home and sleep then come back? Or how does that work? Does anyone know of any centres that are hiring in southern alberta? Or just of any centres that i can contact? Have been digging for info for months and finding it hard to find what I need to contact centres, as I don't even know what all is out there. Anything that you know would be helpful! Thanks!

If you are looking ruraly try Foothills Regional EMS Dispatch. They cover approx 25 fire, and 11 or 12 EMS services. I do believe you need NAED certification ( priority dispatch) and minimum EMT level of training. Fire dispatch training is a plus I believe but not a pre requisite.

Take a look at their website: Foothills EMS

From the newsletter of Local 2507 (District Council 27, American Federation of State, County, and Municipal Employees {AFSCME}), Uniformed EMTs and Paramedics of the FDNY, July 2007 edition, Volume 5, Issue 2, by Oren Barzilay, Executive Board Member.

THE FORGOTTEN EMT'S OF EMERGENCY MEDICAL DISPATCH.

Last month, EMT's and Paramedics across the nation were recognized and honored by their respective employers for the great and arduous work that they perform, 24 hours a day 7 days a week.

The FDNY's Bureau of EMS has honored its field personnel as they have for the past several years, however, yet again, not a mention was made of the Emergency Medical Dispatch Division. Our dedicated and hard working dispatchers play a vital role in the delivery of the field personnel to the scene of all assignments; whether they are for everyday sick people, fires, car accidents, or high casualty catastrophes. They do all this with fewer personnel, while the call volume invariably increases on an annual basis.

The Communications sector, of which EMD is a significant cog, receives, screens, prioritizes, and dispatches more than 1 million requests for help a year, yet no one receives an accolade of praise. We are the largest and busiest 911 center in the nation, and probably the world as well, yet not one dispatcher is singled out for an honor.

Last year, I had discussions regarding this issue with the officers in charge of EMD attempting to rectify this great travesty, but to no avail. This will be an ongoing issue, annually, until this issue is rectified. I'm not asking for dispatchers, specifically, to be rewarded above all else, but I believe that they too should be honored during this most important time.

Even though management has not given us the recognition and respect that we deserve for the extremely hard and professional jobs that we do, we will continue to rise to the occasion and do the job that is as important as the field units that we dispatch.

To my brothers and sisters in EMS, I ask that we all set aside our petty bickering and differences, and remember what makes us ALL great. Cohesiveness on this job is not only paramount to our patients survival, but to our own safety and security as well. I ask each and every one of the field personnel to take a moment out of their day, whether they are working or not, and pick up a land line and call your respective dispatcher to wish them a happy belated EMS Week.

Wishing you all a happy, healthy and above all, SAFE Tour.

(Richard B now talking: All the call takers and dispatchers are EMTs or Paramedic personnel. Some wanted to only go into the EMD, some were assigned there as a body was needed to fill a space, and it is one location where "light duty" personnel, injured on the job and unable to do field assignments can remain on payroll. Some there "come out and play" in the streets on either regular or at least irregular basis, as field vacancies are available, and EMD coverage can be maintained.

(FDNY EMS EMD handles about one point three MILLION calls within the 5 counties that make up New York City.

(I spent my first 11 of my current 22 years in the NYC EMS/FDNY EMS EMD, and have some knowledge of what they do, so I can commiserate on what my union board member has said, on the seeming lack of honors for this integral part of the NYC 911 system during National EMS Week.)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.