Across the Border

This might be a strange question. But how difficult would it be for an American EMT to be able to work in Canada? I supose I'd have to start all over and go through all the training for Canada's standards. I was looking at Calgary's EMS website and the training hours isn't much different then ours....6 months for basic and 2 years for paramedic.

Has anyone moved across the border and went through the training and working as in EMS in Canada? And if so how hard was it to get in and get hired?

Hmm, the only thing to remember is that in most cases EMT-B is often equivalent to our EMR, NOT our EMT-A. (Speaking from the Alberta perspective). I know when I did EMR (in Calgary) we used an EMT-B (US) textbook.

Check out www.collegeofparamedics.org - click on Continuing Competence and then download the AOCPs from EMR/EMT/EMT-P and check out the scope.

Jan, there are a BUNCH of topics covering this, laying out the process and prospects for almost every province, but especially AB and ON.

The bottom line is, no matter where you go, you're pretty much back to square one, starting all over with your education. The exceptions would be degreed medics with a tonne of experience, who would still probably start out as a PCP, and even then only after some retraining and a test they'll try more than once to pass.

Yes :-) I was told this topic was around here somewhere....thanks for replying though. I don't mind starting over since I am not a paramedic yet and haven't invested 2 years and then some in the US paramedic course. So for me as an advanced EMT I don't mind the extra training plus the experience......I think it would be exciting and I am still young.

I researched schools and sent out some emails for further information.....I also found some funding options for Americans studying in Canada/Mexico/

My goal would be to get into a school by this fall.

Cool! That's an awesome attitude, and a reasonable assessment.

Heck, if I were any younger, I would seriously consider starting over there too. Sure, a lot would be a review, but you'd still come out a superior provider.

Good luck!

This just popped in my mailbox as I was writing that last post. An answer to one of my emails to a Canadian ems service. If anyone is interested.

Thank you for your enquiry regarding reciprocity of training and the

ability to gain employment in BC. Individuals who have received

training

outside BC may apply to have their training recognized in BC by

completing the four forms located at the following URL:

http://www.health.gov.bc.ca/ema/oop.html.

In addition to the forms located at the above URL, applicants with

training from outside Canada will be required to complete two

competency

packages. The first will compare your training to the National

Occupational Competency Profiles used by the Canadian Medical

Association for program accreditation. The second package will compare

your current and past work experience to the scope of practice profile

in British Columbia. If your training is from outside Canada, please

contact this office to request these additional forms and provide your

full name, address and phone number.

Once your forms and transcripts are received in this office, they will

be reviewed by the program coordinator to determine what level your

training is equivalent to in BC. You will then be required to complete

an examination/evaluation.

Information regarding Paramedic Qualifications and Human Resources

Offices for the BC Ambulance Service can be obtained from the BC

Ambulance Service website at the following URL:

http://www.health.gov.bc.ca/bcas/careers/

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact

me.

Susan Slemko

Office Manager, EMA Licensing

Ministry of Health

PO BOX 9625 Stn Prov Govt

VICTORIA BC V8W 9P1

Phone: (250) 952-1199 Fax: (250) 952-1222

mailto:susan.slemko@gov.bc.ca

Public Site: http://www.healthservices.gov.bc.ca/ema

Wow - it would appear that BC is making a move to at least not make it impossible to come in for qualified people. That is a step in the right direction, for sure.

What you will probably find is that your EMT-B status in the USA might equal either an OFA3 or EMR. These will allow you to make good money on the industrial side, but you will find the jobs extremely boring, especially if you have been working active EMS. Chances are good that you will have to upgrade to work on an ambulance, but at least there is a possibility to get your foot in the door.

I wish Alberta would follow suit to an extent - ACoP makes it almost impossible to come in from another province, let alone a different country. I have come across some incredibly well-qualified peple who wanted to come here, but were discouraged in the worst way. We have a good system, but it could get better with the right people being imported.

I hope you find what you want - I think you'll loveit up here if you come.

Getting my foot in the door is the first step in this journey. Even if I would only be qualified to work as an EMR. The experience alone would be awesome even if its a bit boring...but the cool thing is one does not have to stay at that position. I would be working on the next step up the ladder while doing it.

So far things are looking pretty good and it gets more exciting the more I look into it :-)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.