So, What an medics do?

You want to put your skills to a test?Why don't you do a couple of long distance jobs with premature babys that need vents and hart monitoring.

Which "skills" would this be testing? :?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You want to put your skills to a test?Why don't you do a couple of long distance jobs with premature babys that need vents and hart monitoring.

Just imagine your self in the back of the bus.

What hospital in the U.S. sends a premature baby on a ventilator without a person with more neo/pedi training/experience on board for a long distance transport via ground?

Just you and the baby for the next 5 hours. .

Where are they still doing 5 hour ground transports in the U.S. for sick infants? There's a children's network that assists regionally in getting sick infants and children to higher level facililties a lot quicker in most areas of the U.S.

These issues are well covered by the AMERICAN ACADEMY OF PEDIATRICS guidelines. The AAP would love to hear about this. They might be able to assist that hospital in getting connected to faster service by Air.

Every pot hole you hit on your way to the hospital will make you vomit with fear!

I would say you are then operating out of you comfort zone and training. Practitioners that are confident in their abilities and training can cope with stress usually without puking. If the paramedic is busy vomiting, who's taking care of the baby?

Not meaning to be critical, just being an advocate for safer transport of infants and children.

Just imagine your self in the back of the bus.

Just you and the baby for the next 5 hours.

Every pot hole you hit on your way to the hospital will make you vomit with fear!

I've done transports of neonates who are vent dependent. If a kid is this sick, and there is an appreciable distance to be covered, the kid will be flown. What's more, the kid will be flown with at least a RN/Medic team. Sometimes, depending on circumstances, it'll be RN/RN.

It most certainly will not take place by ground with a puking EMT-B in the back by himself regardless of the distance to be covered.

-be safe

I've been on a premie vent transport once. The team consisted of 2 EMT-Bs, RN, RT, and a MD. The only reason that we had 2 EMTs on board was because the 2 primary children's hospital transport units were already being used so the backup unit (which is treated as a regular unit by dispatch) was sent.

By that, I am asking what sorts of jobs are available to medics besides the trucks and working in the er way below their training?

Ummm being a Paramedic is working the trucks, thats what the job is. It's like asking the question what jobs are there for an electrician if he doesn't want to work with electricity anymore? Sure you can do other jobs but they are not "Paramedic" jobs.

Hospital based Paramedic = Nurses bitch.

Tactical Paramedic = Cops bitch.

Cruise ship Paramedic = Gopher or Isaacs bitch.

Fire EMS = Hose Monkey with "skills"

The autonomy you have as a medic is gone once you leave the streets.

I ask this because I start school 5/29 and I am just curious what folks do if/when the EMS life wears them out.

Get a real job. Leave EMS entirely. Let the Fire Departments have it, the population is too high anyway. :wink:

In my case go to Nursing school. Sit through a CNA course (its required for the program) with kids who weren't even born when I started in EMS. :(

God it makes me feel old sometimes.

Oh and a mental image for Dust over in Iraq. College girls are hot, I mean smoking hot. Its been warm here to, so lots of shorts and tight t-shirts. :P

Peace,

Marty

Scaramedic, you bring me back to the few pleasures I experienced while in Nursing school. The dental hygiene program was across the hall from our Nursing program. What is it about dental hygiene women any way, perhaps it was just my school. :( Anyway, I digress.

An experienced ground medic could consider Critical Care Transport or working for a flight program.

Take care,

chbare.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.