So, What an medics do?

By that, I am asking what sorts of jobs are available to medics besides the trucks and working in the er way below their training? I ask this because I start school 5/29 and I am just curious what folks do if/when the EMS life wears them out.

Thanks.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By that, I am asking what sorts of jobs are available to medics besides the trucks and working in the er way below their training? I ask this because I start school 5/29 and I am just curious what folks do if/when the EMS life wears them out.

Thanks.

With training not many options with education skys the limit, okay thats a little high. You never wear out they just prop you up in the back so you can count as the second medic.

By that, I am asking what sorts of jobs are available to medics besides the trucks and working in the er way below their training?

There is a reason that many medics working ER are working "way below their training." It is because most of them have been working way above their education for so many years that they would be even more dangerous in the ER. If you're serious about medicine, why not go back to school in preparation for the day you need to move out of the trenches? That would be the intelligent choice. It would help you in the future, it would help you in your current practice, and it will help you to see and experience other arenas and network with people in them, giving you a leg up on the future.

Beyond that, there are a lot of industrial jobs for medics, where they will cross train you into Safety Administration as well, which pays a lot better than EMS ever will. Not to mention the straight medic jobs available in the industrial sector, which usually pay pretty good. When it comes down to it though, there really aren't a lot of great options out there without going back to school.

This has been discussed in a couple of different topics in the "Off The Road" forum down below. You might check it out there for more ideas. Good luck.

Thanks.

Isn't this the kind of question that should have been answered prior to entering (or agreeing to enter) paramedic school? It just seems to me that before you invest the time and effort into becoming a paramedic, you would know what your options are.

All of that being said, as others mentioned there are industrial jobs, ER jobs, etc. Another avenue would be to pursue becoming an educator for EMS. Or completing the educational process for some other line of work so that when the time comes, you're prepared.

Shane

NREMT-P

4cmk6 - That is pretty funny.

spenac - sorry about the typo and thanks for your response. I guess being propped up in the back cannot be too bad.

Dust - Interesting. This may shock you but, being a long time lurker, I have sort of tried to make sure I approach this venture as a profession, largely because of posts from you. I have taken anatomy, physiology, microbiology, chem 1 and chem 2 prior to applying to an AAS medic program. Thanks for the input. As for getting more education, are you suggesting going into another part of medicine?

JPINFV - Interesting and definitely something to consider as I get up in years. Also, that posting seems to be a vote for greater education, as well.

medic001918 - The thing is, I want to spend some time as a paramedic. If there turn out to be no options for later, then I will have to leave the field but it is something that I, personally, want to do. Who better to ask about the options than people who are living the life?

Dust - Interesting. This may shock you but, being a long time lurker, I have sort of tried to make sure I approach this venture as a profession, largely because of posts from you. I have taken anatomy, physiology, microbiology, chem 1 and chem 2 prior to applying to an AAS medic program. Thanks for the input. As for getting more education, are you suggesting going into another part of medicine?

Well, medicine if that is your only passion. Sure, nursing, respiratory therapy, surgical technology, or any one of several other disciplnes that wouldn't take long to finish, since you already have all the prerequisites. You're in a position to study those just part time, since you have a foundation already. But you can take it in other directions too. Occupational Safety & Health is an extremely marketable degree or certification. Heck, if you already have a paramedic degree, then just some certifications in OS&H would get you a very well paying and interesting position in industry. Although less marketable, there is also Emergency Management which has a lot of possibilities. Or maybe just a business or public administration degree, where you could take your experience and put it to use in management. Trust me, the reason medics make crap wages is because their managers are getting overpaid! Get some of that action!

It's a question we all have to face sooner or later, and there is no easy answer. Sure, ideally this should all be part of our master plan right out of high school, but lets face it... retirement sneaks up on you quickly after thirty years of living for today. Kudos for giving it early thought. Best of luck!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.