Should all patients have clothing removed?

Should all patients have clothing removed?  

69 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No
    • My service does this

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See why I say everyone so no bias accused. Several have said only female or male or hot. And don't you hate wearing out trauma shears riding in pants or shirt pockets. HAHA , Remember no prizes left available for your comments as in a landslide the no's won. Thanks for the comments.

• 10 months later...
This subject was brought up on another smaller site and wanted to see your thoughts. It spun from a scenario of 2 medics being fired and facing legal issues for failing first to find the signs of child abuse and then by default failing to report it. Child died as result. They had listened to mothers explanation of arm injury and did not examine any other skin area, thus missed all the bruises of different ages on the child.

Then idea was mentioned should we consider placing all patients in hospital gowns to avoid missing anything. At hospital it seems pretty much all patients are placed in gowns and Doctors then actually see all skin when examining patient. It was brought up that if patient doesn't complain about an area we could miss edema (to the low back, thighs, or buttocks which could be sign of heart failure), miss less obvious bed sores, miss bruising, etc. It appears that only severe trauma and OB patients have clothing removed.

So whats your thoughts, should all patients have clothing removed and put in hospital gown or under sheet to avoid missing the less obvious? Do any services require something like this?

This subject has come to mind again because of some cases I can not discuss. Perhaps a revisit of it will be good for me and perhaps help all make sure they are doing proper exams.

• 6 months later...
When we are to scared or embarrased to check patients completely are we negligent if we miss something?

Well put. Especially if there is an "unknown" problem. Or if after an accident and the pt. "feels fines' but is rubbing their chest, neck, or stomach. I would tell them that I'm a medical professional and another naked body is not going to phase me. You can still be discreet, Let them remove what clothing you deem necessary if possible. If you have to remove their clothes complete explain to them what you are doing. And that it is necessary.

I agree with others, that being "you can see, you cant assess", but it is on a need to see basis, and exam...Cut the shirt..yes... cut the pants legs, yes. As we are in snow mobile country up here, you should hear them scream when you go to cut on a Carhart 300.00 snow suit.

I agree with others, that being "you can see, you cant assess", but it is on a need to see basis, and exam...Cut the shirt..yes... cut the pants legs, yes. As we are in snow mobile country up here, you should hear them scream when you go to cut on a Carhart 300.00 snow suit.

Same way with professional moto-x riders. You start to cut their leathers and they will beg you not too or go after you.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.