Amputee Volunteer EMT

slka614

I am looking for any info or person who may have good thru the same thing. My husband is an EMT, he was in a job related car accident that caused him to lose this leg below the knee. As a result of complications he was revised to an above knee amputee. Recently the safety officer of the volunteer fire department has that he may no long ride on the ambulance because he is a liability. We have push the issue and it was discussed with the village attorney (we are a village owned department). He does not think that he could practice. We have told them that they do not want to do it that we will push the issue. I am looking for anybody that might had a dealing similar to this. They are trying at say that he is not physically fit to do the job, but have not tested him or the rest of the department. Any info that you could give me or lead me to would be appreciated.

There used to be a woman missing almost the entire left leg that worked on the ambulance in Mexico. When they brought patients to the bridge she helped lift and move patients, she would prepare to lift by adjusting crutch position. Hard worker. She learned to work with the situation, never heard the males that worked with her say anything bad and we do spend time visiting at the port of entry while patients papers are checked. I transported her to hospital in USA and haven't seen her in a long time. Guess point is it can be done, she did not have prosthetic just 1 leg and her crutches.

They are trying at say that he is not physically fit to do the job, but have not tested him or the rest of the department. Any info that you could give me or lead me to would be appreciated.

Two issues here. First, to address your question, the above quote is your key. As a governmental subdivision, they're screwed in court or in front of an admin law judge or arbitrator if they have no quantifiable evidence to back up their assumption. It's just that simple. The village has not a leg to stand on, pardon my pun.

Second issue is going to be a bit tougher for you to swallow. To win the above case is going to take a lawyer. And unless you are incredibly lucky enough to find an extremely bored ACLU attorney to take your case pro bono, this is going to cost you out the arse. And for what? Just to have him win your husband a position in a non-paid hobby? If he were actually going for a job, I would be fully behind him, cheering him on. But honestly, I don't trust the judgment of anybody that would spend money on this just for a hobby. As a matter of fact, I don't trust the judgment of anybody that would cheapen the profession by doing it as a hobby, period, but I digress.

If it makes you feel any better, you are absolutely in the right. But still, just move on. Then a year down the line, after all this has calmed down, go slash the village attorney's tires and set his house on fire or something. You'll get more satisfaction out of it. It won't cost you a lot of money. And you won't be slapping my profession in the face by spitting on its value.

I have worked with a few amputees. I had a fill in partner who had a prosthetic arm. He would push a button and the hand would lock around the cot when he would lift it. He was a hard worker, but was severely limited. Last I heard, he is out of the EMS field. On the other hand, I had a co-worker who had only a partial foot. He would wear a prosthetic foot on the job. Actually, he was a very sub-standard EMT. The disability had nothing to do with it. When he was terminated for not following policy, you guessed it, he got an attorney and sued. Yep, he won. Despite the company have loads of paperwork documenting his inability as an EMT. He used it as an excuse. I agree with Dust (as I have so many times in the past). I would walk away and use my experiences in other ways. Perhaps he could be an instructor. Just a thought. Best of luck with the whole situation.

We have an employee who lost his leg above the knee in an accident (befre he came here to work). He is a volunteer firefighter and works the ambulnace. I have to admit I was worried at first but he can do anything I can. If not better. He lifts he gets in dicthes he climbs in and out of the truck. He is not a liability to our service, he is a great assest. He had it harder than the rest of us because there was alot of doubt. But he proved many of us wrong. I would take him over alot of other people any day. I trust him with my life.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello. I realize that the situation that I am about to explain to you is not the same as your situation, but maybe it will help in some way. One of our mutual aid departments recently brought on a volunteer who has the use of both legs,but he needs a cane to walk. There have been several calls where this person fell.He recently expressed interest in attending a EMT class and he was told no way. The village feels that he could not perform the duties and would be a liability. My opinion is that they should have thought about that before letting him join the department. I am sorry to hear about your husband and god bless him for wanting to continue on in this field. Good luck!

this is not a management decision

a decision on whether sonmeone can or cannot undertake a role is ultimately down to to the occupational Health Doctor , in the case ofthe OP i'd expect the decision to be taken after the OP had been assessed in 9simulated) practice by a training officer and an ergonomicist ( preferrably a Physio or OT ergonomicist) ...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.