Traditions as a new EMT

If my volunteering on the side keeps people like you out of a job, then I'm damn proud of that.. Because it's your outright negative attitudes that make EMS look bad.

I almost choked on my spaghetti from laughing so hard. Keep ME out of a job? You don't even know me, for petes' sake. Man, are you from PE? That might explain it.

Wow, don't even give him a chance to get used to you or anything. Just come right out and prove what an as*hole you are. Do you just want people to stop joining EMT City? Scare them off.. Hey newbie, not everyone in EMS is an as*hole. Maybe admin should limit the site to paid and career personnel only, since obviously those of us career EMS personnel who choose to volunteer on our own time, are hurting the industry so much.

Geezus, did you fall out of the wrong side of the ambulance this morning? :lol:

My comment about making new hires/vols join EMT City, and the DustDevil remark was a JOKE. You DO know what a joke is, right? It was meant in FUN. There's a LIGHT side to all of this. It sounds like you've been on the receiving end of alot of anti-volunteerism. If this is the case...deal with it.

I'm a volunteer myself, in addition to being career. I don't have an anti-volunteer bone in my whole body. Remember, the topic was "traditions for new hires"...which I interpreted to also mean hazing (which I do not officially condone). It was a hazing scenario that I was referring to when I suggested subjecting them to Rob. No one is trying to run anyone away from EMT City. If you'll take note, many people that Rob engages in debates where the subject is volunteerism (like myself), they don't just up & quit the City with their tail between their legs. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion/point of view. Rob's entitled to say whatever's on his chest. That's what this place is about. Sharing ideas, friendly debates,

Additionally, the views expressed in the post in question are my own, and belong to no other person or agency. Personally, it's my own opinion that if anyone volunteer OR career, gets bent out of shape over their LED/Strobe &/or badge...they deserve to be made fun of...which was the whole POINT of that part of the post anyway.

I've lost sight of what I'm trying to say in THIS post...but my point is, LIGHTEN UP for god's sake. It's EMS. Worry about your patient(s), and the rest will all work out in the end.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if it's tradition but.....I was put in one of the worst parts of the Bronx.Hart attacks back to back...baby delivers back to back super violent psychs back to back.....and that was my first day.9 jobs in my first day 31 jobs my first week.I heard this over the nextel that week "yah gotta be kiddin he still be kickin with you guys.....go white boy"My partner said it was not meant as a dis.....he was surprised that I could tuff it in the ghetto with them.I will never know but it felt like a traditional hazing.

I don't know if it's tradition but.....I was put in one of the worst parts of the Bronx.Hart attacks back to back...baby delivers back to back super violent psychs back to back.....and that was my first day.9 jobs in my first day 31 jobs my first week.I heard this over the nextel that week "yah gotta be kiddin he still be kickin with you guys.....go white boy"My partner said it was not meant as a dis.....he was surprised that I could tuff it in the ghetto with them.I will never know but it felt like a traditional hazing.

That sounds like an actual useful tradition. You get some learning and experiance, and you get to tuff it out in the ghetto. :) Too bad there is no ghetto where I'm from.

The Only "traditions" I know of involve going to the busiest unit until you have the seniority to get off of it. you also work either nights or weekends or just the exact opposite schedule of your significant other. you also get insomnia and eat crappy food at all hours of the day. oh yeah you also get duct taped to a backboard an maybe your bedding gets put up on the roof or in the freezer

You guys are too young to remember the really good traditions we had back in the funeral home days!

Let's just say, you better hope you had an extra pair of clean pants with you on your first night sleeping in the funeral home! :twisted:

You guys are too young to remember the really good traditions we had back in the funeral home days!

Let's just say, you better hope you had an extra pair of clean pants with you on your first night sleeping in the funeral home! :twisted:

Geezer. :tongue: :thumbup:

disclaimer: The term Geezer is in no way meant to offend anyone and is simply used as a joke to my pal Dustdevil. Anyone offended should take this as an open ended and immediate appology. If you're too sensitive to not see this disclaimer as a joke then no appology will be issued.

I started as an EMT at a local rescue squad. We worked backwards for some stupid reason from 12-8 then 4-12 then 8-4. I worked with this guy who snored OBNOXIOUSLY. (Yes, worse than you Bob. Remember Mumbles from Lower?) Anyway, I used to go into the hall and wheel a spare stretcher over towards the phone. The police would call on a very loud line if we had a call. I overslept one morning and didn't hear the other crews, the chief, or anyone else come in. They straped me to the cot and wheeled me outside in 20 degree temperatures. After freezing my nipples off, I was rudely awakened to a passing siren from one of the ambulances. They laughed for hours about that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.