Tricks of the Trade

When driving lights and sirens to a call and you come up to someone in the left turning lane in the middle of the road, watch the wheels to see if they start to turn left (as this will obviously happen before the person is able to pull out in front of you if you are passing on the left).

I'll get my binoculars out.

I prefer to just slow down and slowly overtake someone on the left in that situation with liberal use of the airhorn.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you know for sure they wouldn't have survived?

Since there was no one else onscene that could have seen him go down, I feel pretty comfortable in the statement. He got CPR within seconds and defibrillation inside of a minute- because the providers and their monitor were within a few feet on him.

Not parked "a few hundred yards away" reading a book or whatever.

Since there was no one else onscene that could have seen him go down...

That right there is proof of a failure of the Incident Command at that scene. And those are the guys you think ought to be telling us where to deploy?

Firemonkeys are obviously incapable of deploying their own assets competently. Proof positive that they are certainly not the best people to determine how EMS deploys their assets.

Since there was no one else onscene that could have seen him go down, I feel pretty comfortable in the statement. He got CPR within seconds and defibrillation inside of a minute- because the providers and their monitor were within a few feet on him.

Not parked "a few hundred yards away" reading a book or whatever.

Well then EMS should be stationed at the local geneology conference. I mean, arrests happen there so it's of benefit for us to be stationed there with our gear at the ready.

That right there is proof of a failure of the Incident Command at that scene. And those are the guys you think ought to be telling us where to deploy?

Firemonkeys are obviously incapable of deploying their own assets competently. Proof positive that they are certainly not the best people to determine how EMS deploys their assets.

As a "firemonkey", I will take that as a complement. :D

I don't know the particulars of CBEMTs story, and I wont delve into that. However, as a "firemonkey", if I pull one of my Brothers out, or a vic, I want EMS staged no further then across the street, gear ready, ambulance pointed in the direction of the route of travel to the hospital. Not staged down the street, playing with themselves. That is what I expect, and that is how I operate.

Make note, however, this is for a working fire, not the everyday Activated Fire Alarms, or smell of smoke.

Well then EMS should be stationed at the local geneology conference. I mean, arrests happen there so it's of benefit for us to be stationed there with our gear at the ready.

Exactly. WTF makes 20 firemonkeys so special that they deserve any more consideration than 3000 Mormons at a geneology conference? Somebody is a little full of themselves. What are they, 5 year olds who need their hands held while they squirt water?

Exactly. WTF makes 20 firemonkeys so special that they deserve any more consideration than 3000 Mormons at a geneology conference? Somebody is a little full of themselves. What are they, 5 year olds who need their hands held while they squirt water?

Dust, take a look at what kills Firefighters. MIs, Strokes, heat related illnesses. Those are the big killers! When I am fighting a fire, and come out, I fully expect to have my vitals taken, and monitored. I plan on staying a Firefighter for many years.

Here is another factoid for ya, free of charge;

Firefighting is considered an "ultra-dangerous occoupation" I quote that from OSHA, NFPA, and whatever other names are out there. Going into a burning building, with 60+ lbs of gear, makes for a more likely heart attack then a buncha mormons congregating.

Firefighting is considered an "ultra-dangerous occoupation" I quote that from OSHA, NFPA, and whatever other names are out there.

Did OSHA and the NFPA misspell "occoupation" (sic) too? :D

Going into a burning building, with 60+ lbs of gear, makes for a more likely heart attack then a buncha mormons congregating.

Here's another fact for you. Old age kills a LOT more people than fire, smoke, and carrying 60 pounds of gear combined. There are a lot more old people at a geneology conference than there are firemonkeys dropping at a house fire. A lot more taxpayers too.

/me waits for a paramedic to be stationed on all the Alaskan crab boats.

LOL! You read my mind.

I actually considered going back and editing my post to include that idea, but I figured I'd save it for later if I needed it. :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.