Tricks of the Trade

Since we're going on the asthma alternative treatments at the moment, who has a take on the ye old throw them in the bathroom and run the shower full blast trick... I know I hop in the shower for the warmth and the steam and it seems to help me, especially if I'm also battling some sort of upper respiratory infection, but what could be the pros and cons of this in home use with family/friends or as something you've seen a patient do?

Disclaimer;

I don't advise "alternative" treatments in repiratory problems in place of accepted medical practices.

That being said...

In the hospital we will switch to heated water humidity systems both on the ventilator and face/trach masks if we are having difficulty bronchodilating or secretion mobilization.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

heres a "trick"....Do vitals on all pts., as long as you can do it safely.

Got a drunk, or a psych pt, make sure that they have been frisked. It doesn't hurt if you decide to go over them again to double check

Fire standby? Park far enough away for all Fire Apparatus to get through, DO NOT park in front of a plug. Working fire? Grab all gear, backboard, collars, etc, place on cot, and stage close to the scene, but far enough away to not be in the way

At fire standbys I sit in the truck and watch the show :D

If they need me, they'll let me know... in the mean time I'm sitting in my reclined seat.

At a fire near me last year, the only reason the pump operator survived his SCA was because the EMS unit was watching from across the street. Park the truck down the street and out of the way, facing out. Personnel and equipment up to the scene.

At a fire near me last year, the only reason the pump operator survived his SCA was because the EMS unit was watching from across the street. Park the truck down the street and out of the way, facing out. Personnel and equipment up to the scene.

Do you know for sure they wouldn't have survived?

And we park where they tell us to and we stay with the truck so that people know where to find us.

Park the truck down the street and out of the way, facing out. Personnel and equipment up to the scene.

Akroeze is correct.

We don't go looking for victims. People call us when there ARE victims. And the one place they will expect to be able to find you is at your truck. Nothing pisses people off more than to run to the ambulance only to find it locked, and the crew several hundred yards away, wanking at the pretty flames.

Never leave the boat. Never leave the boat. Never leave the boat.

Akroeze is correct.

We don't go looking for victims. People call us when there ARE victims. And the one place they will expect to be able to find you is at your truck. Nothing pisses people off more than to run to the ambulance only to find it locked, and the crew several hundred yards away, wanking at the pretty flames.

And when you do leave, put up the "Back in 5 minutes" sign :)

Akroeze is correct.

I was trained to gather all equiptment that you might need to use, put on cot, report to IC. He will then put you where he deems necessary, so if and when EMS is needed, he knows exactly where you are. And he is the man in charge.

When driving lights and sirens to a call and you come up to someone in the left turning lane in the middle of the road, watch the wheels to see if they start to turn left (as this will obviously happen before the person is able to pull out in front of you if you are passing on the left).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.