Suggested Reading Material for Paramedic Student

AMESEMT

If you have one paramedic text you have plenty. None of the current publishers care a whit about the information they are presenting. There is no reason for an EMS textbook to be written at a 10th grade (or lower) reading level. The Caroline version has been the most cartoonish of the three since it's inception, and it holds to this method because the students like it.

This says nothing positive about the direction EMS education is going.

Find yourself a good pathophysiology textbook and read it until the pages come loose from the binding. A & P helps, but pathophysiology focuses on the things that are broken, and how they break. This tends to allow you to better understand how to fix them.

The Manual of Emergency Airway Management by Dr. Ron Walls should be required reading also.

Good luck to you.

If you have one paramedic text you have plenty. None of the current publishers care a whit about the information they are presenting. There is no reason for an EMS textbook to be written at a 10th grade (or lower) reading level. The Caroline version has been the most cartoonish of the three since it's inception, and it holds to this method because the students like it.

This says nothing positive about the direction EMS education is going.

quote]

The key to any textbook in any field is to take what it shares and use it as a basis for research. The research is where you learn the most and retain the most because it required effort. The simple clear understandable Nancy Caroline's Emergency Care in the Streets gets you started then you have to build from it. It gives you key ideas and key terms that will add you in doing the research. Any student or instructor that relys only on one source of information is hurting themselves and the ones that listen to them. Sadly many instructors are only teaching for the exam not for the education of the student, this is why our professional field is in such bad shape.

As an EMS educator, my advice to the original poster is to get your hands on any references you can find. Then verify the info by checking other sources including reliable internet sources. Do not settle for the simple answer, dig deep and you'll be a great medic.

We are using the Brady book as our primary text. I also use Gail Walravens Basic arrythmias text, Dale Dublins EKG text, a pharmacology text, numerous downloads for the WWW.

I agree with what most have posted. Understanding of Anatomy and physiology is paramount. I had to take a refresher class in A & P since it's been eons since I graduated from college. I'm glad I did.

One other thing. If you have the chance to attend Bob Pages 12 lead course, I highly recommend it. The presentation is clear and the class was fun. Enjoy.

Find yourself a good pathophysiology textbook and read it until the pages come loose from the binding. A & P helps, but pathophysiology focuses on the things that are broken, and how they break. This tends to allow you to better understand how to fix them.

Some schools are implimenting A&P into the curriculum. I really wish I had taken A&P before medic class.

The program I just applied for requires anatomy and a basic ECG course I couldn't imagine trying to learn both while learning medic skills due to the amount of time I've spent on these pre-reqs by themselves.

The program I just applied for requires anatomy and a basic ECG course I couldn't imagine trying to learn both while learning medic skills due to the amount of time I've spent on these pre-reqs by themselves.

I was working with a medic student who had to do just that. One guy in his class is doing fine in the medic class, but is on the border w/ A&P.

Hopefully most schools are going to keep them as pre-reqs and help create a standard two-year medic degree.

While I do agree with AZCEP's comment that you need to focus on things that are broken. I disagree that it should come before A&P. In order to understand what's happening when something breaks, it's helpful to first understand how it works when it's functioning correctly. When you understand the normal function of the human body and it's systems, then pursue the pathophysiology and the abnormalities that are associated with it.

Shane

NREMT-P

Most pathophysiology texts will do just that. This book will give the information that every paramedic student should be after before entering their class.

Most pathophysiology texts will do just that. This book will give the information that every paramedic student should be after before entering their class.

Indeed AZCEP! McCance and Heuther's Pathophysiology book is an excellent text, though i wish i knew there was a study guide that went along with it 12 months ago :?

• 3 weeks later...

We are using the Brady 5 Volume Set of Paramedic Care plus the 5 workbooks for each. We also had a Brady A&P book and workbook. Just between those, it cost us approximately $500... no joke... And we still have Cardiology and BTLS books to buy.

I find it funny that our instructor picked Brady as the book of choice because "Brady-" means decreased, aka "slow".... lol. So is she trying to tell our class something? I agree, sometimes we are definitely a slow class, but so far we aren't riding in short ambulances, so we must be doing alright! lol...

Just kidding... That was in no way meant to offend anyone by the short ambulance comment.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.