Transport Rigs...Where do they stack up?

vcfd35s

So, being a newly certified EMT I have some options when it comes to working as an EMT. Currently, I have two companies that are offereing me positions; one being a primary 911 that runs with county fire and the other being a transport company. I am looking at the positives to both. With a 911 company I can chug away at my hours for medic school and get the experience working with fire. At a transport company, I get one-on-one pt care, access to pt histories and medications. I always will be able to get practice dealing with how the ambulance operates, the strecther, the hand-off to the hospital, etc.

My thinking is that I would want to do the IFT rig for six months or so, so I can get the hang of everything; as opposed to my first call being 911 with fire and scrambling around like what do I do. Plus, when in the back with a pt it would only be me and not a medic that doesnt allow me to fully practice my abilities as an EMT.

So, would it be good to work on a transport rig, or would it be better to go straight to a 911 as a new EMT. I know there are alot of medics on here that are filled with knowledge and have been where I am. I look forward to the responses. Thanks.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just my two cents. I believe I would go into a 911 system. Transport companies offer experience, but not much more than that. Learning cot use, etc. should not take more than 30 minutes in total to learn, only to find out the next company has a different cot. As well, many employers do not feel experience in non-emergency transport companies is not really experience and just a place to have a job. In fact, possibility of not being hired into an emergency service.

Learning on what to do in emergencies is going to occur no matter when you enter the field or if you have experience in non emergency transport. If you want to be in emergency services, I would get into it as soon as possible, especially if you want to go into a fire service area.

R/r 911

I think it is good the way you are sitting back and looking at both options and the positives of each. I wanted to get right into the 911 work when I started but I ended up doing about 8 months of transfers before doing primary 911. You are right with the positives of each, and reading the paperwork, history, medications, and having that one on one patient experience are all great, and does provide a solid learning experience. But the 911 work would be a better choice in my opinion especially if you are looking to become a paramedic. You can still look at medication list and history and interview the patient to get that knowledge and in addition you get the 911 experience and doing emergency calls. The best way to learn on emergencies is to critique the calls after you do them, and to run the calls by more experienced providers and see if they have any advice. Good luck in whatever you deicide, I hope you enjoy the experience.

Thanks so much.

Are tranfers any fun at all...like do you ever get a chance to do a code run to the hospital; or light up every now and then?

I cannot see how any of that would be fun. Codes always equate to hours of paperwork, bad patient outcomes, and possible litigation. In addition, I would rather not light up and be thrown around in the back of the ambulance. Honestly, I love interfacility transports. The more mundane, the better. I can actually talk with patients and family and possibly make a difference. This may just be the "Muse" in me talking however. :D

Take care,

chbare.

Thanks so much.

Are tranfers any fun at all...like do you ever get a chance to do a code run to the hospital; or light up every now and then?

Depends where you work. I work "transport" and have had more than my fair share of hypotensive, unresponsive patients. It all depends on the local laws and your company's contracts.

That said, you're starting to scare me with your eagerness for the flashy things.

Thanks so much.

Please tell me that you want to be involved with EMS for more than being a fire fighter or playing with shiny lights and loud noise makers.

Transfers can be fun. You can make time to grab lunch, and everything runs on a schedule compared to the 911 shifts. Again it depends on the company you are looking at and what contracts they have as to whether you will be doing 911 back up for cities and towns. With inter-facility transfers you will still get some emergency work, nursing homes call privates a lot of times for emergencies around here, also patients occasionally deteriorate en route. Also remember do NOT get into this business to light it up, every time you turn on the lights is dangerous. Other drivers act stupid, people that just want to drive with the lights and sirens act stupid, and it results in bad things. Use this job to learn as much as you can and to help people, if you want to drive fast with lights and sirens become a cop.

I agree with the others when they say to go for 911. You really can get the the same experience with both regarding equipment. In 911, there is 1 piece of equipment you use more than anywhere else...your brain. I've done transport for the past 4 years and hate it. Yes, you do get a lot of patient contact but it's more a neutral situation.

You work with other people, police, paramedics, and you can learn more then in transport.

BTW, are you a basic or paramedic....in your original post, you say you are a new EMT and in your stats to the side, you call yourself a paramedic.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.