Austin-Travis County EMS

I'm looking for info about Austin-Travis County EMS, specifically any type of personal experience with the organization. Dust and anyone else from Texas, please feel free to contribute.

Also, anyone who has experience with Texas EMS please feel free to contribute. I'm interested in the demographics of the state's EMS system or lack thereof.

Thanks!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry, but Dust is currently busy, doing his best Hawk Eye Pierce impressions. Please leave a message, and he will reply to your post in a timely fashion.

BEEP.

I'm terribly sorry, but it's 12:30AM here, and I really could not resist. I possess no self-control at all.

Unfortunately, they require us to conceal them, unlike some cool states like Arizona which allow open carry, without a permit, I might add. Although, this applies only to handguns. You are free to walk the streets of Texas with your assault rifle openly displayed, without a permit. :D

I'm afraid I have no up-to-date info on A/TC EMS, as I have no friends there currently and haven't really kept up. I know it is pretty well considered the Holy Grail of EMS positions in Texas by those in the know. Pay is better than most. They are serious about education. The trucks and uniforms are gay, kind of like Lee County, Florida (shout out to my peeps!), but oh well... whatcha' gonna' do?

Anyhow, last I heard, they were quite picky and definitely did not take anybody with a pulse, as most do. I believe they went totally ALS, and do not hire EMTs anymore, which is a very positive thing. Unfortunately, this contributes to the elitist attitudes that a lot of their people seem to have. Although, this is the case in just about every large system, even the losers like Detroit and LA.

I can tell you more about Austin-Travis County itself than I can about the EMS. The cost of living is higher than any place else in Texas, but that is still better than the cost of living anywhere on the east coast, for sure. And there is no state income tax in Texas. Factor that in when considering the viability of the salary.

Dust, oh dear friend. you crack me up.

BTW that shit is wack, yo, lemme shout out to my peeps in EMTCity land!!! Yo. LOL

I do talk like a normal person, when I'm not messin around. Later haters!

Trucks are only Paramedic I think, but last I heard they do hire EMT basics for about $35,000 year as dispatchers and after a year would help you with education costs to go Paramedic. They do have a lengthy academy that you attend during probation that you must pass to stay hired. If I remember right Paramedics were about $45000 year starting. Never worked for them. I hear some good and bad about them just like most services. As far as Texas EMS it's up to each services Medical Director as to what you're allowed to do. I'm in very rural area and even basics are allowed to do alot. Some services basics can't scratch there butts without calling medical control. Paramedics here have a large scope of practice, but again not to far away if they want to wipe a kids nose they need medical controls permission it seems. Don't know which Austin has. Hope this helps and keep in mind as Dust said pay may seem low but no state income tax and many small towns rent is cheap, but Austin is probably most expensive city in Texas.

They had a booth at the Convention in Vegas, seemed nice and gave out some decent swag.

1. Snazzy water bottle. :thumbright:

2. Cheap Bic pen. [-(

3. Flyer... :tongue:

Which is in bad shape because it got rammed to the bottom of my convention bag.

File0002.jpg

File0001.jpg

4. One of their patches. :thumbright:

File0003.jpg

Peace,

Marty

in that flyer of the Medics in shirts and ties I am the 3rd one from the left. I have worked in the system for a year now. we have a large scope in certain aspects limits in others. If you are used to rsi... we don't do it. Our sops are pretty versatile though in allowing the paramedic to think for themselves. what else... 48hr work weeks.. 2 3 or 4 day work week. 29 ambulances 1 helicopter. 6 of those 29 are special operations(rope rescue trench con space EMS swift water etc.) 1 haz-medic ambulance, 1 tactical ambulance that works and train with austin pd swat. ambulances are yellow wheeled coach on medium duty chassis custom designed. cost of living is expensive from texas standards but coming down here from chicago I definitely notice that it is cheaper. Sales tax is high but as has been mentioned no state income tax. pay is based on experience starting from 41-47k a year topping and 62-68k i think. we have 6 on duty commanders 4 field 2 spec-ops. we have had some turmoil as anyone who reads Jems can see but the system has also gotten accolades like "the best ems system to work for" but the systems has its problems like everywhere else. I haven't met anyone with that elitist attitude but I am sure some people have it. If you have any questions about other things let me know

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.