All Terrain Trauma

I recently started working at a motocross track part time. Most of the races are motorcycles, but they do have some quads. The EMTs/Medics all have quads except for a four seater "Mule" which has an area to but a patient for transport. I had never ridden a quad until a few weeks ago. The owner of the track is getting us helmets. I am almost always the last guy on the scene because I worry about driving the thing. I can not help anyone if I do not make it there, right.

The station I run with has had several calls in the last year alone dealing with ATV's. One night it was dark and took a long time to find the guy. I am trying to get the station to pony up for a few GPS units. We can get the coordinates from the cell phone.

Sarge.

• 4 months later...

I had a quad rollover yesterday. Other than the fact I had a moreon partner who left me on scene for over an hour by myself the call ended up running well, thank god because there were no resources and had no help out there.

I must rather have a good trauma call though over most medicals. I enjoy the hands on.

Focus_911.. from the 'moreon partner'...

if you have an issue with me... have the deacency to talk to me yourself, not post it online.. at least now i konw they type of person you really are. And i left you for 20 min (i timed it) and had to call dispatch... so if you had an issue, i was less then 2 min away on the radio, you just had to figure out how to use it.

Grow up

I'm not sure which is worse...

In "our neck of the woods" we have lots of ATVs and lots of areas for them. We do get ATV calls often but MORE often we are called to a motorcycle fatality. It's not too often that one of those Crotch Rocket pilots on the back highways makes it home, when they lose control going 160km/h.

ATV accidents are low speed (generally) high angle. Motorcycles are high speed low brain function...

P.S. I am a rider myself, but it all comes down to choices...

We had three victims under the age of 18 in a space of two weeks on quads - two were DOA and could not have even been organ donors with what was left. The idea of Quads being low speed is rapidly becoming a thing of the past - some of these things will go over 160 km/h.

I'm not sure what can be done - it is easy to say that it is ignorance that is causing the accidents, but that does not do anything to prevent them. Yes trining would help, but I think there also needs to be some limits placed on who can operate a machine over a certain horsepower, as well as some major design changes that will improve safety.

I may be dreaming when I say things like that, but I can say I am tired of picking up pieces or seeing quads causing "quads"

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.