Speaking of stealing...

Looks like you don't have to take just narcs to land into hot water (no sh%t, Sherlock). The new "environmentally friendly" albuterol inhalers we use now run about $35/each, so $120 worth isn't that many. There but for the grace of God go many of us. A cautionary tale in case anyone looked sideways at their untracked meds.

'zilla

Firefighter/paramedic loses pay pending felony theft case

Dayton Daily News

Staff report

Saturday, April 07, 2007

MIAMISBURG (OH) — A Miamisburg firefighter/paramedic has been placed on unpaid administrative leave, after originally being placed on paid leave, pending the outcome of his criminal case.

City Manager Bill Nelson issued the order for Jack Ikerd on Wednesday after a personnel hearing last week, said city spokesman Gary Giles, who explained that he could not say why Nelson switched Ikerd's leave status. Ikerd has had the full-time job since 1996.

A Montgomery County grand jury in March indicted Ikerd, 38, on two felony counts of theft in office.

He is accused of stealing two albuterol packages from the city valued at $12 each and $125 worth of inhalers from the city of West Carrollton, according to police reports.

Ikerd remains on unpaid administrative leave from his part-time firefighter/paramedic job with the West Carrollton Fire Department. He started in West Carrollton as a volunteer firefighter in 1993, Chief Jack Keister said.

Albuterol is an asthma medication that helps relax muscles that open airways and ease breathing.

Sounds to me as if the PART TIME FF/Medic did not have insurance and is supplying himself or a family member, Not saying it is right, but that is the only concievable reason I could think for doing such.

But remember stealing is stealing. That's what several previous threads have been about.

It's no different than stealing from a store, it's just easier and less chance of getting caught stealing from your employer than from a store.

People who steal are stupid. People who steal from their job should be shot. I don't know about where he was from, but around here if you need an inhaler and don't have insurance or whatever your problem is, there are usually certain people you can ask, whether they are supervisor or doctors at hospitals who will get you a few. If not just buy them, it's not worth being caught and losing your career.

• 2 weeks later...

I work with several medics who work or have worked with this guy. According to them, and remember, they worked with him daily, he did have asthma and also had insurance. This is a sad case of a medic not thinking that the departments will miss a little here and there. Fortunately for him, the thefts will only be charged as misdemeanors. I am, in no way, condoning what he did, but thefts are an everyday problem in the EMS community. Whether it be some kerlix and 4x4's to take home for the kiddo's skinned knees or the morphine from the drug locker. Like it was said above, theft is theft.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.