Money for CME, conferences: does your company pay?

fiznat

Just wondering what the situation is for most of you guys here. Does your company give money to go to CMEs, conferences and things? I just went to the JEMS conference in Baltimore and all of the expenses came out of my own pocket. Our company does give us a ~$1300 stipend at the end of every year for recert/CME purposes, but nothing specifically for conferences and whatnot.

How does your company deal with CME money? How is it distribuited and how much can you get?

It varies on how much it is, & will it be useful etc. My company just paid for three of us to become Advanced Stroke Life Support Instructors, this week which was a hefty costs and sponsored a few to CCEMT/P course.

My job was to "beef" up the in-house education, so we did not have "send out" employees. For example we have all of the alphabet courses (PALS, PHTLS, NRP, PEPP, etc..) in house now, as well as at least 4 hour a month minimum CEU and starting a on-line CME on top of that. So it is all dependent on the education budget. Usually many will attend and pay, then he will reimburse afterwards.

R/r 911

My old job gave us NOTHING, Zero Zip, NAADA,, but all our recert training was conducted free of charge. But I paid for EMS Expo, Fire house Expo, NYS EMS Vital signs conference, everything.... (thats NYC for you.)

Now my new job, believes in the crred, If it's free it's for me. But they do have a small budget to pay for lectures, etc, but it is no where close to $1,300. more like $300. per medic.

Remember, all your training stuff is TAX deductible, Magazines, professional journals, training classes, travel to training, etc.

Check with your accountant or tax preparerr for details.

don't forget, meals are deductible too up to the federal per diem rate for that state and city you go to. So if the federal rate for nyc is 55.00 per day then 55 bucks perday is tax deductible under the law.

If you need a specific state and city's per diem rate please PM me I have them on my computer hard drive, I just have to dive in and find them. they are for 2005 though but they don't really change much year to year.

Mileage is also deductible as well as fuel. and such.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.