U.S. Healthcare Trauma cost

Would someone living in the state of California please answer this question:

Here in New York State, one cannot take a motorized vehicle onto a public roadway legally, unless the vehicle (inclusive all motorized, licenced vehicles) has some kind of insurance. This insurance usually has some kind of rider for covering injuries of both vehicle operator, and anyone the driver might injure, in an accident. Without insurance, you cannot even register the vehicle, with the Department of Motor Vehicles, for the licence plates.

Does California not have any similar law, that includes motorcycle?

As for delay awaiting care in an Emergency department, I once broke a tooth with a really powerful sneeze, while at work. My lieutenant called the local ED, asked if they had an on duty or on call dentist, and on getting an affirmative answer, had one of my colleagues take me to that ED in a company car.

This was at about 5 PM on a Saturday.

I was processes by the admissions office for the ED, but was not seen until almost 1 AM early Sunday morning. While I admit I was no major trauma case, I was kind of shocked by the delay.

Then, the worst thing happened. An intern finally stuck a tongue depressor into my mouth, and then tells me that, yes, I have a broken tooth, but he would make an appointment for me to be seen in their clinic sometime Monday afternoon!

I told him where he could put that appointment, and he signed me out. I finally got back to my work location about 1:30 AM, and signed out.

Sunday, I was unable to eat anything except hard boiled eggs. I was disgusted, as was my lieutenant on finding out my ordeal.

Monday, my car had to be seen by my mechanic, so I called the union's dental office from the mechanic's shop. They were unable to handle me, but referred me to the dentist's office group that I now use, who a few hours later, did a root canal on me. The reports I have heard about root canal work either was totally unfounded, or I just got lucky to really get a "Painless" dentist, as I actually had no pain from the procedure.

In addition to ERDoc's comments as to the reality of hospital E.D. care, I would like to tell you about last night's visits to our E.D.:

- An afebrile middle aged woman with a stuffy nose, whose C/C was "I have a cold."

- A mother brought her young son in and stated "He has a mosquito bite."

- A young couple came in and the young woman stated "I just found out I'm pregnant, and I want to make sure the baby is OK."

- A family of 5 was involved in a very minor MVC (literally just a scratch on the rear bumper according to EMS). Dad wanted everyone "checked out" to make sure they were OK. Not one of the 5 had any complaint or sign of injury.

- The perfectly healthy Baker Act patient sent to the facility for "medical clearance", and then held for over 11 hours because the Behavioral Health facility stalled on re-accepting the patient.

Every one of those patients complained vociferously about the long wait for treatment and discharge. How many of those patients do you think will pay even one cent towards the diagnostics/teatment they did recieve? My bet is none.

Yet, we also had a host of other patients with truly life threatening emergencies. And many, many more who truly needed medical attention, though not of a life threatening nature. And evey one of those patients will be billed an astronomical amount for their care.

Hey, I don't have any answers, either. So it all seems like a pointless rant. But something is terribly wrong with the state of Emergency Medical care when we feel we must respond to a mosquito bite as if it is on the same level as an M.I. And then, if we don't, some lawyer gets involved. Hospitals end up practicing to avoid litigation instead of actually practicing emergency medicine.

Then on the other end of the coin

Here are some of the calls that I've had over the years that I felt were totally inappropriate yet I had to transport them due to the fact that I couldn't say "I'm not taking you for this bullcrap"

1. Small scratch on the right leg -

2. Ear ache - pt. didn't have a ride to the hospital so she called 911

3. Sore throat

4. cold and flu symptoms - this einstein thought she might have SARS even though she had never travelled outside the city of Independence MO

5. dislocated finger - the husband drove their mercedes to the hospital - My ambucab drove her

6. Multiple Tick bites - the guy was afraid he had lyme disease.

7. foreign body (thorn) in left leg - hospital was 3 blocks away she just didn't want to walk

I could go on and on and on. Each bill ran about 400 dollars of which our services never saw a dime from these patients.

These pts that jam up the ER infuriate me. The sweetest revenge is when there is a perfectly good OTC med to treat their cold/runny nose/fill in bogus complaint here. The look on their face when you tell them that they are not getting a prescription when there is a perfectly good OTC alternative. Sorry, not everything little thing requires a prescription. I feel that I am just doing my part to keep down healthcare costs. Why should the insurance pay for something when there is an OTC equivalent. People need to understand that they need to take responsibility for themselves and their family to some degree. Don't ask me for a prescription for Motrin or for one of the $4 antibiotics from Walmart. Stop smoking for a day or two and you can afford your meds or your childs meds AND you will be on your way to better health. Sorry you have to give up your addiction, but it is not societies problem. OK, I'll get off my soap box.

Amen ER Doc ! Well stated!

It appears that every "over concerned mother type" that describes that she "cannot afford" the Tylenol or Motrin for their kids always have a couple of packs of cigarettes in their purse or a pack in their pocket. I ask, how much does a pack cost now a day? .. Of course .. that appears to be a different thing.

R/r 911

Add my applause, ERDoc!

Oh, by the way, a long time ago, my VAC's dispatch training officer was doing a review of calls received and documented on the dispatch slips. Seems somebody called in requesting an ambulance to go to the hospital, with stated claim of injury/illness of "I'm not really feeling very chipper"!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.