There goes the future of EMS....

A few months ago if you asked me where I will be going to become an Emt, and then a paramedic; I would have described a Top Medic school and been all excited. Well today was the last straw for me

With only a month left in this two semester Emt class we have been shown most of the basic skills we will be using. The problem is that after the instructor spends the first 20 minutes of class half-ass demonstrating the skills, he gives us all a thumbs up and walks out of the room. So here we are just "playing" with this ems equipment, not really knowing if we are doing the procedure right. As of yet I have been introduced to the skills but cannot put them together in scenarios. Almost the whole rest of the class doesnt care because they get out 2 hours early and they just want to be fire fighters anyways. Sad thing is, the instructor owns the program!

I'm already set up to transfer for this comming fall to a different medic program. This cannot be the training that is going to take the EMS profession to high levels. I guess I am going to get working on memorizing the steps of each skill and work on them in my free time.

Sounds like the average program! My experience was in a class that stressed all the critical skills and concepts, but was more concerned with passing the state exams than turning out top shelf EMT's, and it is one of the better ones. My wife on the other hand went through an extended program that bucked the trend of expedited program. She spent a solid 6 months in a class that never let out early, did at least one Saturday a month, and required more 50 ambulance hours and 48 ER hours (the minimum is 10 and 8 ). It was not perfect, but was certainly a step in the right direction.

I think you will find that there is a great variation in program requirements and attitudes and it would behoove you to go through the extra time to check it out. I recommend either a college or hospital program.

Sad thing is, the instructor owns the program! .

This is a program at a University....I'll leave it unnamed. :?

Okay, how does one own a college program?.. Something is not right here ?

Did you complain to the college officials, if it is through the college then they have oversight.. again, this is not clear.

R/r 911

ok...The program was owned by the university a few years ago, but they were going to do away with it. So The guy who is the instructor purchased the program and runs it through the university and must answer to the university for certain aspects, but not about how he chooses to teach. Its confusing.

ok...The program was owned by the university a few years ago, but they were going to do away with it. So The guy who is the instructor purchased the program and runs it through the university and must answer to the university for certain aspects, but not about how he chooses to teach. Its confusing.

I would complain to the college anyway. They may want to cancel his contract and do away with a half arse class. Besides, chances are they don't want their name on it, if it is flawed.

Good luck!

R/r 911

I'd love to comment on this, but I'd just get too pissed off and spend too much of my valuable R&R ranting about it.

Plus 10 to Wild-atheart for recognising the shortcomings of this programme and for aspiring to greater heights.

I'd love to comment on this, but I'd just get too pissed off and spend too much of my valuable R&R ranting about it. Plus 10 to Wild-atheart for recognising the shortcomings of this programme and for aspiring to greater heights.

Agreed +10

At least with my experience there are few EMT schools that seem to provide an adequate education for their students. My advice would be since you are already in progress with that program, just do a majority of the studying out of the classroom and learn that most you can. Then most of your learning will come with on the job experience anyways. Most EMT programs around here anyways are too focused on passing the state exam and not on producing EMTs that will be able to work in the field. Whatever you decided to do good luck, and as they mentioned above bonus points for recongize the standards of the program are not up to par.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.