Taking the plunge

nremtp

I am considering taking the plunge and moving to the USA permanently to continue my career over the pond. I am currently training to be a Paramedic with a well known US training company and am due to take my EMT-I exams soon with my Paramedic exams towards the end of the year.

I can obtain a work visa very easily and providing I can get an employer to sponsor me I am almost guaranteed a Visa.

I was considering approaching AMR for a job as I understand them to be one of the biggest EMS providers in the country. However, what are they like to work for? What would the salary be like for a Paramedic? I have 5 years experience as an EMT in the UK so surely this would count for something. Also the terms of my visa mean I am tied to that company for the duration of my visa so surely this would make me an attractive candidate. They can sack me but I can't quit!!! They would have to shell out a few hundred dollars for my visa application but surely a company would consider this an investment especially when they are getting a qualified Paramedic whose training is already self funded and who is guaranteed to work for them for 2 years.

Basically if I quit then I would be deported which is why I want to make sure I am choosing the right company.

Do you think they would go for it?

I wouldn't go to Australia because I don't want to go to any country where the wildlife can eat me!!!!!! Too many spiders and snakes in Aus.

Canada - don't know much aboot Canada, my auntie worked as a nurse in Ontario and loved it but I really want to go to the USA.

I really want to live somewhere like Florida or California. I worked for 6 years as a lifeguard and I love the beach and florida and cali have some great beaches.

I have been offered a job in South Africa as well in both Jo'berg and Cape Town but I really want to work in America. USA is ahead of the rest of the world in EMS and there are more opportunities for career progression than in any other country.

I have been offered a job in South Africa as well in both Jo'berg and Cape Town but I really want to work in America. USA is ahead of the rest of the world in EMS and there are more opportunities for career progression than in any other country.

:confused1:

In what respect? General lack of education? Scopes that are far beyond education? Low pay? Being a dime a dozen?

Perhaps I have been misinformed all these years...

Scope of practice in the US is considerably more than in any other country and there are far more opportunities to progress.

Ah...Another who sees scope of practice as greater than education. Many have come before you. Good luck in the US.

And FYI...

http://www.ornge.ca/careers_flight-paramedic.html

Operating under the Medical Advisory Committee, which is comprised of physicians with specialties ranging from anesthesia to neonatology, Ornge provides its paramedics with the most advanced scope of practice anywhere in North America.

But anyway...

Operating under the Medical Advisory Committee, which is comprised of physicians with specialties ranging from anesthesia to neonatology, Ornge provides its paramedics with the most advanced scope of practice anywhere in North America.

Once again...in a blazing display of Canadian inellectual superiority you quote and ADVERTISEMENT to back up your argument..Perhaps I should prove the superiority of U.S. EMS by quoting AMR, or take a snippet from one of the Fire pages?

If this is what Canadian medics call facts (I know most wouldn't)...I'll stick with American healthcare...

Man, give it a rest...every time you attempt to hose everyone down with your Canadian brilliance, by being insulting, you look silly...Is there any argument that you don't choose simply because it's easy?

Dwayne

Once again...in blazing display of Canadian inellectual superiority you quote and ADVERTISEMENT to back up your argument..

If this is where you find your facts...I'll stick with American healthcare...

Man, give it a rest...every time you attempt to hose everyone down with your Canadian brilliance, by being insulting, you look silly...Is there any argument that you don't choose simply because it's easy?

Dwayne

1) I wouldn't call it as much an advertisement, as a statement of practice. This is the orgranization that oversees the provincial air ambulance, they aren't really a private company jostling for business. They are also the largest in North America.

2) I will base my facts on this considering they really have nothing to "prove" to any competitors. But perhaps this indicates you know more? Please give your references or ADVERTISEMENTS!

3) Where in my above statements aren't I articulating fact/general consensus amoung the educated minority on this forum. But it is an easy arguement though... In general people always see scope of practice as being greater than education. That is a huge fallacy, and should be commented on.

AMR is a fine company to work for, although keep in mind that the divisions across the country are individually run, meaning that your experience will most definitely differ from one area to the next -- even though it is the same company. Add to that union contracts vs non-union contracts, differences in medical control etc, and you've got yourself quite a diverse company. Asking what AMR is like is similar to asking what living in this country is like. It really depends where you are.

That said, I work for AMR and I feel like it is the best EMS company I have worked for yet. Here in CT I make just about $20/hr as a full time medic-- which isnt stellar but fairly decent considering what other people get.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.