Idea for safer responses

I recently completed an Emergency Vehicle Operators Course. It is mostly a class room setting with some actual driving portions. Many aspects of Emergency Vehicle Operations were discussed. One topic discussed lead me to an idea to fix a problem we discussed as another topic.

We discussed the fact that some stations in our area have Opticon, which can change traffic lights to give the emergency vehicles a green light. This helps to avoid crossing a dangerous intersection, avoids pushing vehicles into intersections, etc.

In another topic we talked about how it seems many vehicles do not seem to notice you until you are right behind them. We talked about reasons why. Vehicles are being built better today and eliminate a lot of outside noise, including sirens. There was also discussion of how a vehicle can actually move fast enough to make the siren basically ineffective very far infront of the vehicle. I am still trying to grasp the physics of this one.

Well my idea is this and I want to know if anyone thinks this is plausible.

What if all emergency vehicles could be outfitted with a transmitter similar to the opticon, but it would activate a receiver in all passenger vehicles. The receiver in the vehicles would have an alarm like a seatbelt alarm on one of the back up sensors, or even a voice. This would let the driver know that an emergency vehicle is approaching. I am in no way any kind of engineer, but it seems like this would be a workable idea. A vice similar to a GPS could announce "Emergency vehicle approaching." This would make the driver aware and they could them be more alert.

I would think the system might even be able to detect the direction of approach. "Emergency Vehicle approach from rear."

I would think with the engineering of todays vehicle this would not be an expensive addition. Please provide any thoughts or feedback you may have.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this has at one time about 10 years ago been discussed in various forums. IT was deemed to expensive and was considered to only be a possible optional accessory to cars instead of standard equipment.

What I"ve seen being done these days is to put the lightbar at the drivers height on the ambulance. What I mean is have the lightbar at the level of the other drivers. Currently the lightbars are placed on top of the ambulance cab and most people cannot see the bar due to their rearview mirrors being lower than the lightbar

Another option which is in wide use in the KC MO area but not many other areas, correct me if I'm wrong, oscillating sirens, two separate sirens which makes it easier to hear but with the sound proofness(new word) of the cars these days it's amazing that you cannot hear the sirens. I heard an approaching ambulance but not until it was right behind me. I had the radio on at talk radio level, my windows up and I didn't hear them.

another time I heard the siren, same car and volume of radio but this siren was the Fire Truck with it's Q style siren. I heard the truck about several blocks behind me.

I know what you are saying about the lights. Most of our fire apparatus has the rotating lights at approximately rear view mirror level.

I have only been in this business about 2 years, so I had no clue it was an old idea. Should have known if my dumb self could come up with it someone else would have, too. I think that with advances in technology, it would not be too expensive these days. With onstar and sat radio now becoming standard features....

I figured it was worth throwing out there.

Sarge

This Idea sounds very possible now, the technology that we have today is a lot cheaper today then it was ten years ago. I think that you should contact your congressman or senator about a possible law to require auto makers comply that is the only way to get this or some other things done

Guess people are not taught to drive the way I was back in the dark ages. We were told to be checking side and rearview mirrors every few seconds as part of a cycle. Still do it and it has saved me from several side and rear collisions.

Now my invention that is on the drawing board is a springloaded front bumper to send people out of my way but my congressmen havn't pushed the bill I proposed that would make it legal to use on emergency vehicles. Guess better resubmit it as they probably misplaced it right. :wink:

Am I the only one who does that Spenac? I look at my rearview mirror every 2-3 seconds or so. In fact I was watching my rearview mirror tonight and saw a wreck happen. The girl was flying but the guy drove in front of her, no skid marks, no brake lights just Wham

No one was hurt but boy was she pissed when they both got ticketed.

Oh well, but yes, I check every 3-5 seconds all my mirrors it drives my wife bonkers.

My five-step plan:

Establish a minimum age of 25 for all EV operators.

Establish a lengthy and comprehensive driver training and education curriculum, which must be successfully completed before getting behind the wheel on duty.

Establish a minimum time working as a non-driver in the back of the ambulance before being allowed to even start the driver training programme.

Establish a high-voltage electrode system in the driver seat that is activated by a button in the patient compartment.

Remove the lights and sirens from the vehicles.

I have a radar detector that is at least 4-5 years old. Occasionally, depending on where I travel, it will beep and flash about road construction and display something. It also very rarely picks up on something in emergency vehicles, but I'm not sure what. It occasionally flashes "Emergency" and goes nuts but I don't know if it's the strobes maybe, or the siren, I'm not sure.

This technology is 4-5 years old AT LEAST. There is no reason they can install something like that. How many people now-a-days have a radar? Or GPS? Or Garmin? It's easy, they're just lazy!

The service I work for is not an Ambulance service. Most ambulances will leave a station on L&S go to their call go to a hospital and then either another call or their station. we go from our base to the call and back to our base. Occasionally we use our Lights (no siren) to do Emergency calls. I've seen that when we do a longish call (travelling the same route there and back) that you might save 1 or 2 minutes over the same distance. However we need several approaches to Emergency driving

Better Driver training and education ( 2 - 3 weeks Police style course)

Better Sirens ( Directional white noise incorporated)

Dash light or Similar eye level light.

My five-step plan:

Establish a high-voltage electrode system in the driver seat that is activated by a button in the patient compartment.

Like that idea. If the idio.. I mean driver takes curves to fast, goes over bumps or into dips to fast, falls asleep eyes open or closed, then hello feel the pain buddy. Good one Dustdevil.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.